CairnTalk

Cairn Puppy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

We are awaiting the arrival of our first Cairn puppy. Our puppy will be home alone during the day. My husband and I are considering getting two Cairns at the same time so they can keep each other company. We had two labs and this worked great. This will be our first inside dog. Suggestions? Pros/Cons. Two females male/female. Or shouldn't even consider the idea?

I just spoke with someone on Monday about having two dogs. She was a game warden lamenting her decision of getting two puppies at once- a cairn and a pomeranian. She said after the first month it was so overwhelming, she couldn't stop crying. So she hired a trainer.

Now that the dogs are a year old, she says, things have calmed down.

But I know how you feel. Sometimes I wish my dog would have his own social life.

There are others on this board though who do have experience with a multi-doggy household.

My opinion only: I think getting two puppies at the same time is a terrible idea. Littermates, even worse than terrible. If you don't have the time to devote to a single puppy, how will you have the time to DOUBLE the amount of individual attention two puppies will need? Two wild puppies are not going to housetrain and obedience train each other. Oh, they'll entertain each other all right. Not necessarily in a good way.

Adding an opposite sex puppy a year or two after the first puppy is very common and seems to work out fine in most cases.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I would have to agree that two puppies at once would be a monumental mistake. They will take on a pack mentality and you will no longer be in control, they will. You need to set boundries and you can only do it with one at a time. Aside from that, two Cairns at once......I'd pull my hair out after the first week. They are busy little things with a tremendous amount of energy. Get him a good chew toy and hire a neighbor to come in for an hour a day.

We have two dogs. One is an nine year old Westir female and a four month old Cairn male. They get along like champs but the older one is teaching him that I am the boss, not the two of them together.

Good luck with your choice

Hi! I got a kick out of that - - "they are busy little things" - - that is an understatement. Even half asleep Riley will drag himself up to play a game of fetch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!

One Cairn at a time takes a lot of energy!!!!

Oh, you would have to be very, very brave. I kept a cairn pup for a family member for a few months due to some unforseen circumstances. My boy was 6 months old at the time, the other pup was 4 months. It was like baby sitting 2 year old kids, no, worse I think! And I work from home. Mine had been such a great puppy, I considered myself so lucky. I found the :devil: hidden inside while the other was here. Two cairn puppy brains = trouble!!

Are you out of your mind? :shock:

Actually 2 dogs are great but like the others said....wait awhile and then add to your family after the first pup is trained.

:P We got our puppy, it will be two week Sunday. What a joy he is. He gets along fine with his older sister Brandy. Riley will be three months old next week and Brandy was three years old this past March.

That boy will run till he drops if you let him. We try to take them both for a mile walk every day to wear them out and it works. We finally have no snow here in Buffalo, NY. and the weather is just fine for walking. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are willing to do your "homework", getting two puppies at the same time is nothing short of total joy! Assuming you are willing to live with that terrier attitude and that you have done your research on Cairns. I have 2 male Cairns, littermates in fact, Butch and Sundance, just a little over 1 year old now (born March 1, 2003). I definately did my homework, both of them know that I am Alpha. I planned for a year, read, read and read some more, then waited "patiently" for them to be born (only called my breeder every day), saw them for the first time @ 5wks, then they came home at 8wks. I have loved every single minute of it and wouldn't change anything and don't regret for a second getting both of them.

Early on, yes it was hard work. I purposely walked them separately, they slept in separate crates (they are both sleeping in my bed now), gave each of them individual attention and individual training time. Two puppies housetraining, two puppies nuetered (at the same time), the vet bills.... Every cent and every ounce of what I have put into their lives so far has been given back a million times over with all those puppy kisses, who can resist a Cairn puppy kiss?

Butch will graduate from obedience class on May 11th. Sundance starts May 18th. After obedience, Canine Good Citizen, Agility, maybe an Earthdog trial ....

I love my Cairns! I will never be without one again!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

we are ready to take on our second cairn, but looking to adopt can't afford another$700 for another pure bred one . we are lookink at the cairn rescue to adopt an older cairn.

GG

George & Gracie are my 'kids'. We got them at the same time. They are in seperate kennels. They have totally different personalities. Gracie is very attached to her kennel. She can even unlock it from the outside to get in when she wants! George is appropriately named as he is extremely curious! I would say the biggest problem we had was their battle for who would be Alpha. Gracie won the first time then we went through it again at about 9 months. I really can't tell now because they get along so well. We have to keep their kennels apart because of Gracie...she doesn't want George anywhere near it.

I would do it again! We have had so much fun with them. They definately need obedience school. We have even discussed getting another one...if our animal shelter gets one.

Remember you will have double vet bills. If money is an object it is really something to consider. The kids are in their kennels while we are at work. We are fortunate that 'Daddy' can go home for lunch every day and I get home by 4 usually. But, even when we are home (day off, vacation, etc) they want to get in their kennels for a nap in the morning and afternoon. There is no way on God's Green Earth I would have 2 Cairns without kennels!!!!!

Cheryl

We first adopted a puppy and shortly after a dog a year older and it worked out wonderfully. After they stopped chasing our cats (about a week of being firm) everybody gets along fine - the older dog helped the pup learn. I also wouldn't hesitate to get two puppies if you were going to be home with them. I think it would be very difficult if you are away all day.

Archived