CairnTalk

defiant female cairn

Guest B

Lets see, my boyfriend, a cairn fan since he was a child got us a Cairn pup back in the fall. I myself love any and all animals, especially dogs but I personally have only owned larger dogs like Weims and Vizslas. While I get a kick out of our little girl Cairn, she drives me up the wall with her behavior and I just don't know what to do.

She is nearly a year old and still horribly inconsistent with her housetraining despite being taken out consistently, she's nippy when you play with her, she's defiant and doesn't listen very well to me and doesn't listen at all to my boyfriend and I get the feeling she doesn't trust us very much when we're holding her. If we attempt to cradle her in our arms like a baby or even just lay her on her side on the couch to rub her belly, she flips herself all over the place and scratches us with her claws while her tail twitches in nervousness. She is not affectionate at all most of the time. I'm lucky if I get her to lay on my feet for a minute or two. This just isn't what I expect from a dog. Its like she could care less about us or what we're trying to teach her. Is this defiant behavior characteristic of the breed? Any suggestions?

My boyfriend doesn't seem to mind this defiant behavior (thinks its cute and funny most of the time) or lack of affection from the dog. I assume its because he's used to it. I however, am not used to it. I love dogs who behave and want to be with me all the time. I don't think this defiance is cute in ths slightest. :confused:

Sorry to hear about your situation. Cairns are noted for their sometimes strident independent personalities. Our Dudley has definitely exhibited the exact same behavior with me and my wife at times. If he's interested in something else other than you, you could call him and call him, and at times he won't come at all. Our in-laws Cairn, Max, is much more affectionate, but if he decides to chase after an animal or something he sees, they'll run to Canada before they stop.

Their personalities are much stronger than most big dogs I've had experience with. Both my wife and I didn't like the way Dudley would growl when she or I would cuddle him, but we've learned it's just the way they are. Every once in a while, we'll get a cuddley Dudley moment, and it's all good!

Be patient. She'll calm down as she gets older. While she may never be as affectionate as some other types of dogs, she'll mellow out some. Good Luck! :D

Guest Guest

My first Cairn is 1 1/2 and I also noticed a difference between her and other dogs I have had in the past. She's definitely not a lap dog!!! But I admire her independent nature and she is so entertaining and comical - but most things have to be on her terms! I hope eventually you'll come to appreciate the tough and fiesty little terrier for what it is - a very smart courageous little adventurer! Maybe sign up for some terrier stuff where he/she can shine and win your heart?

Wishing you all the best,

MJ

Hi! I totally agree with the other posts - - Cairns are by nature pretty independent little guys and my Riley will interact with others on his terms. He is, however, very friendly and affectionate. BUT - - when he wants to play - - he wants to PLAY!!! I raised several retrievers in the past and found them to be extremely obedient and affectionate - - Cairns are a little harder to train but I am thoroughly sold on the breed. Riley is soooooooooooo funny and entertaining - - he is now a year old and appears to be calming down somewhat - - - although I hope he keeps his crazy, whimsical little personality - - that is what makes him special!!!

They are indeed a special breed. Sometimes it seems like they do things just to "push your buttons" (kinda like what a teenager would do :huh: )

I'm in the process of training Madison to stay out of the mulch/garden area. She's excellent unless she feels she's being ignored and then...BAM, she'll get in the middle of the garden and look at me as if to say "Ha, you don't own me!" UGH!!! :confused:

Archived