CairnTalk

May be getting a new Cairn?

savannahsmom35

So I may be adding my ex-husbands 7 month old Cairn Terrier puppy to my family. He is really a very sweet guy but he has some behaviorable problems that I am not sure that I can break. He is SOOOO needy! I have NEVER in my life seen a Cairn terrier as needy as this little guy. :confused1: He wants to be with someone ALL the time. It is so bad that you can't even let him out to potty by himself. He will sit at the door and cry until you either go out with him or let him back in. If you put him in his crate at night and he can't see you, he will cry all night. He is also VERY destructive. You can't leave anything within his reach or he will destroy it. I know that he is still very young but these are problems that i never had to deal with while "raising" Savannah.

I think that part of it is the fact that I have gotten used to having a 3 year old Cairn in the house. Savannah still acts like a Cairn but she is certainly much calmer than a 7 month old puppy. I am also not sure about how he and Savannah are going to get along. Last time they were together, puppy got on Savannah's nerves SOO much because he nips at her when he plays. There was some growling and such but no biting so i let them work it out. I don't want the puppy to end up in a bad home where he is not well taken care of but I am not sure how well he is going to fit in with the family. Thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Hi Savannahsmom! That is wonderful you even considering this. I really dont have much advice except maybe see how it goes. Maybe you have more to offer this poor chap than where he is now. Savannah may be the one to make things all better..you never know. Good luck and keep us posted!

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

I think you should give it a try. Most likely he won't be as needy if he is with Savannah all the time. They will work out their differences in time, just make sure you keep Savannah #1 and don't make changes in her status. If you crate Savannah at night, try putting their crates next to each other so that he has her close by. As for the destructiveness, your ex probably let that get out of hand a little too much, and you will have to start from scratch retraining the puppy. If you are able to work this little fellow into your family you will all be the better for it. If it doesn't work out, contact a Cairn Rescue group who will find a new home for him. Good luck.

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Trying to post a pic of the little guy...

post-865-1199296062_thumb.jpg

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Soooo CUTE! Looks like the real Toto! Good luck with whatever you decide.

He's very cute. I'll bet between you, Savannah and the help you get here you can whip him into shape! And remember that he's still a baby at 7 months and your Savannah is a grown up girl at 3 yrs. You've got lots of time to work with him and teach him good habits.

Good luck!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Hello savannahsmom35, Give it a try. If ex is willing to give him up he may not be the best person to raise him. I'm willing to bet you can do the job.

He reminds me of Stewart (he had some of these behaviors- but he's a Saint thanks to proper training). Send him to Maryland! I would give anything to have him!

dsc01076uf3.jpg

You CAN do it Somer! Remember all the hassles of puppyhood with Savannah??? Probably only a few raw details because you've grown to love her so much that you don't remember all the silly puppy antics she put you through. I'm certain with your love and guidance and Savannah to mother him, you'll have a happy little Cairn family in no time! Remember that all dogs mature a little differently and it almost sounds like he's in that "fear" stage where they have to get over the new experiences that scare them and needs your reassurance that everything is "okay".

Keep me updated via email!!! Curious to know how it all turns out. GOOD LUCK!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Oh my is he ever so darn cute! He looks just like My Missy at 7 months. He is mostly all black, send him too me LOL

I think you can do it and work on his behavior. My Kramer likes a lot of attention and loves to be with someone. Missy my female was opposite, she was happy by herself, not Kramer. Having Savannah home with him will be company. I'm sure at first she may not approve, after all, being an only puppy for 3 years but there amazing how they learn to love each other. Good luck he is gorgeous!

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Hi Somer:

I remember when Mett & Bratt when through phases like your describing. Puppy antics, Cairn Puppy Antics- more Gray hairs on my head.... I love my boys, but they did rung me ragged.

I remember a time when Brattwurst would cry when you left him crated....and when you gave in and let him out he would cry that much more when you left him....It was that he realized that he could get what he wanted if he cried loud enough...long enough.... ON the destruction level....do a forum search on the posts I had on the latest destroyed item....

Mett & Bratt kept me busy.... they still do.... but Thank God they are slowing down!

He is a cutie Pie......Savanah could have a friend......

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. Nothing is official yet but the ex husband mentioned me taking him again on New Years and he seems pretty serious about it. I have puppy sat the little guy a few times and he is very sweet and loving just a handful at times. The other weird thing about him is that if you keep water in his water bowl, he will go over and "dig" all the water out. SOOO weird? Wonder why he does that? Crazy maybe?

Someone asked why the ex wants to get rid of him. Ummm... I never thought he was cut out for a Cairn in the first place. When we first got Savannah, I did everything for her, from regular training to potty training. He just doesn't have the patience for a puppy, especially a Cairn. He recently moved into an apartment and the puppy is having a hard time adjusting. It has only been a week but again, patience is not one of his strong points.

I don't know if I will end up with him or not but if he decides that he doesn't want him, I am at least going to try to make it work. I will keep you guys posted. And if it doesn't work out, I will send him to one of you guys that said you wanted him. :whistle:

Here is another pic of him napping under an end table. He really is very cute!

post-865-1199370926_thumb.jpg

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Puddles dug in her water bowl for a while! I just thought she was living up to her name :) She has done quit that..Thank Goodness. But now that she doesnt do it anymore I kind of miss it..hehe. Cant wait to hear more news. Because he is just so darn adorable!!

Archived