CairnTalk

Cairn Terrier Fur style

Rob D.

I've taken Murphy to the same groomer four times now. I wasn't too pleased with

the first two times but lately she's been pretty good but not exactly what I wanted.

My wife likes it but I'm just not sure. This woman has been grooming for some time and She knows how to do all breeds. (except Cairns-my opinion) How do I go

about to suggesting to her to try another style. Should I show her the way that cairns should be groomed or just not take him back for his bi-monthly (her

advice) haircut. Would should we do????????

Guest Guest

Bi-monthly????? My Emma gets stripped every 6 months! I think "you're" getting clipped! If I were you I'd contact a Cairn Club in your area and ask their advice on a groomer. That's how I found someone who *only* does Cairns. She breeds them too so I'm very happy with the results! I hope you find a better solution!

Cheers,

MJ

To MJ:

I thought so but I wasn't sure. The only reason that we went there is that she's close. I'll take your advise and contact our provincial club. Thanks for the conformation. ;)

Guest jennyt

My cairn has been stripped only once, he is almost 2. he could use a good going over, but I worry about this hurting him. His bum area seems especially sensitive, am I an overprotective Mom, or is there any other way?

Most of our dogs hate having their butts groomed. What seems to work best is to go v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y pulling, literally, just a few hairs at a time. Usually when I fnd myself wrestling with a dog it's because I got impatient and wanted to do too much, too fast. It helps to do a few pulls on the butt, a couple on the back, a couple on the head, etc. to avoid overworking one place and letting them get restless or sore. Also, that Groom King tool seems particularly good at butts. It quickly rakes out the big pantaloons and then the stringly bits that are left are easily plucked, three hairs at a time :)

Disclaimer: I am the world's WORST groomer and can prove it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

This groomer we have is not your standard groomer. She uses scissors more than

stripping. I think I'm going to cancel Murphy's Bi-monthly haircut and check with the provincial club. Thanks. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived