CairnTalk

Murphy Meets His Match

Rob D.

I had Murphy my best little friend on four legs, to the park last summer and we're

minding our business when he just stopped dead in his tracks. I thought he was doing his usual sniffing anything that sticks out of the ground routine. When I looked up there was a Great Dane heading for us. Now Murphy is one not to back from anything BUT we both looked at each other and I said "Do you wanna go home or what?" Now your probably thinking, "This guy talks to his dog?" Who doesn't? Well Murphy looked at the Great Dane, who's name is Stan, and didn't

move a muscle, but I could feel him doing a very low vocal growl through the leash. So I made sure he was on a very short leash and held on for Murphy's sake. The next thing you know the owner of the dane and I traded pleasantries and waited to see what was going to happen next. OK, we have a 14 inch cain beside a five foot dane, what do you think Murphy did. Yep, he turned into Satin and did 5 circle around this great dane running faster then I have ever seen run before. What a great defense. He figured if this sucker is going to eat me he's going to have to catch me first. Well Murphy was on his sixth lap when the dane put his paw on the leash and Murphy can to a neck jarring stop. Then the two dogs looked at each other Murphy went into his playful crouch with his butt in the air and barked his fool head off for 10 seconds. I don't know what he said but these two have been the best of friends ever since. As we stood the talking, a group of Japanese tourists were walking through the park and saw Murphy and Stan standing side by side. Well they all got their cameras out, I swear to God, and the leader said "Horse and Dog". this cracked up my wife, myself and Stans owner. I said "Great Dane Dog, Cairn Terrier Dog." Why is it that if we say things slowly we expect foreingers to understand. They stayed for about 5 minutes taking pictures then it started to rain so we all scampered for our cars. We see Stan and Mike about two times a week in the park and the boys have a great play.

That's funny!

We had a similar situation during this past Christmas. My sister and her husband visited for a week and brought their Husky/Wolf mix, Timber, with them, and we agreed to watch him during their week here, since our yard is large and fenced.

Timber is a 120+ pound dog, and stands mid-thigh height while on all 4 feet. In other words - B-I-G.

When we first introduced the two dogs to each other, Dudley was apprehensive at first, and acted similarly to your Cairn for a moment, but then warmed up qucikly to the new dog. They got along great and loved to play as the week went on. We might not have put them together has Timber been more aggressive, but my sister told us that Timber was very submissive and obedient, so since Dudley has a dominant personality, Timber didn't make a fuss when Dudley would try to play rough. During one play session, Timber gave Dudley a gentle swat with his paw, and a gentle swat for Timber is a big swat for Dudley!

We took a few pictures, and I always got a laugh when they were together: Dudley, the shrewd and charismatic little one whose bark is bigger than his bite, and Timber, the gentle giant who never made noise unless he needed to. What a pair!

Hi! When Riley was recuperating from surgery at Cornell University, he would often be put in an outside area to play. The doctors told me that he always gravitated to a large Irish Wolfhound to play with. They laughingly revealed that the Wolfhound would run with Riley right on his heels - - seems he liked to chase this big old dog all over the pen!!! Riley wasn't the least bit intimidated by his playmate but the doctors seemed to think that the Irish Wolfhound was scared silly!!

Archived