CairnTalk

The torture of Christmas...

OzGirl

Hubby was slicing some ham this morning and I could hear him explaining the correct way to cut it I wondered who he was telling and there were the girls sitting ever so attentively watching and listening and just waiting in case some fell on the floor (btw he had been told to make sure none did :lol: ). Then I put some hot shortbread out of the oven to cool on the table and poor Roxy just went nuts. She danced around the table trying to figure out how to get it, then she sat there staring up at it and yowled and talked to us.

It was so cute but I felt sorry for them - all these yummy smells of Christmas and none for them. :(

ctdogs.jpg

My kitchen is quite open so when we say "Out of the kitchen" they obediently leave one exit only to come back in the other!

I can't peel a banana without having 3 crazed furballs under my feet! :lol:

Our Dale, who has lived with us the longest, is a "cleaner" cairn. She will sit in the dining room and wait hoping that the humans will dump their plates on the floor by accident. She just sitts there and dreams away. When we sit in the living room to watch TV, all three of our dogs will come over and see if there is anything to eat. Hey if the humans get something, why don't we get munchies??

I think I just found the only way to keep Scully still. I was making the Italian waffle cookies - pizzelles - a little while ago. She sat there next to me and stared for close to an hour and never moved a muscle.

I can relate. Two hours of cookie baking and Stewart sat without moving a muscle... I never knew he could sit still that long. He almost broke me with that cute tilted head look of his.

dsc01076uf3.jpg

Cute story! Darcy sticks by our side... especially when in the kitchen. Bailey only shows up if he hears Darcy chewing or crunching on something.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Both of ours are "helpers" in the kitchen. They help cook, put away the dishes, inspect the dishwasher, etc. Only when I'm frying are they made to stay out of the kitchen. When we sit down to eat the lay quietly next to us. No begging or anything. But Lord forbid you rattle the potato chip bag. It becomes chaos. DH sneaks them chips when they've been good is what I have learned.

Mine stay very close as well when in the kitchen. When I make popcorn they get extremely excited. I admit I used to sneak them a few pieces (since it isn't that bad and it was only a few pieces) and they have not forgotten. They try to help clean the dishes while they are in the dishwasher but they know this is a no no, I worry about the knives. If Sadie even thinks something is going to fall she is ready and waiting, Scooter doesn't really care cos she always beats him to it anyway.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Bruski loves to help load dirty dishes into the dishwasher! He eats whatever food drops on the dishwasher door while we're loading it - its just a little bit - and he's such a good helper, he deserves a reward :)

For Cassie the torture was smelling the rats at Disneyland. Yes we spent Christmas day there and she waited for walks and meal breaks in the kennel. She went half barking mad at the smell of rats in the bushes and got us kicked out of the patio at Labrea Bakery by two very unamused security officers. DH had been taking her for a break when he had to go to the restroom himself so I had her there while refueling my caffiene needs. This morning she took a long walk through two parks here in Laguna Hills and has forgiven us for yesterday. Later we will take her to the beach. Sadly she does not run the hard sand like other dogs or chase balls or sticks. She hunts the cliff sides for rats!

Riley was lucky enough to get a special turkey dinner on Christmas. My husband is the softy when it comes to food, so while he was carving the turkey Riley got his dinner

Becky in OHIO

Archived