CairnTalk

Finish a Major?

pookiegirl

Hi All,

I am really showing my ingnorance regarding showing/competing in the dog world.

Recently, I contacted my breeder to share some new pics with her, etc.

She replied and told me Lexi's full brother just finished his major.

She was very happy about this and I was very happy for her.

She was having some health issues and was unable to show any of her dogs for a long while. It was good to hear she was back doing what she loves.

So, folks, can someone explain to me what a "major" is?

Thanks,

Barbara

The American Kennel Club requires a dog to obtain a total of 15 points with two major wins (a major win is worth three points or higher) to become a champion. The majors must be won under different judges and at least one other judge must award some of the remaining points - so you need to win under at least three different judges.

Short, oversimplified version: to become an AKC champion (also known as 'finishing') a dog needs to earn 15 points by defeating a certain numbers of dogs of the same sex in competition. The number of points at any given show is determined by the number of same-sex dogs in competition. The number of dogs required varies by geography. But basically, the more dogs defeated, the more points. The point schedule runs from 1 point to 5 points. Wins worth 3, 4, or 5 points are 'major' wins. To become a champion you need at least 15 points AND, of those points, at least two majors. See also, Counting Points at a Dog Show for some detailed explanations, straight from the source.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived