CairnTalk

microchipping

LORI

Can someone tell me how that microschipping is working? Are there real success stories? How do I know that will work on my dog kids? We have been thinking about doing that for the soon to be two of them.

There is just something very nerve wracking about multy tags jingling. Brandy always wears her collar in the car. She has a collar for short distances with one tag. She also has a collar for long distances or when we go to Canada, more tags.

We would love more information on this subjest. Is this micro chipping pretty much all over the US?

I always am learning something from this site. Thanks everyone.... :)

All of mine are chipped. It's not fool proof, some shelters - at least the ones here - do not check them like they should but I want to do everything in my power to ensure their safe return should something happen. There are plenty of success stories. The tags are made of flexible, rubbery type stuff so they don't really jingle.

• 2 weeks later...

Lori:

I had Murphy microchipped when we had him neutered, may as well do two things at once. What would happen if you dog got lost and didn't have a collar on him. I would hope that whoever found him would take the time to check for a microchip between his shoulder blades. It doens't stop him from doing laps around the house and he doesn't know he has one.(so to speak) More vets look for the chip today and I'm glad if Murphy ever gets lost he has one. :D

We did the same as Rob. Had our little guy chipped when he was neutered. Vet said it was best done when asleep since the needle was pretty big.

I didn't have my older girl done 12 years ago but it wasn't as common then.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

We also had Dudley chipped during his neutering. It's a very routine procedure, and the tags that accompany it are made of a flexible plastic, so they don't jingle. Hopefully, it's never something that you'll need, but it's like AAA.....you rarely need it, but you'll love them when you do need them.

While conked out for surgery is certainly the most convenient time possible to 'chip a dog, don't put off chipping if that is what you're waiting for (or the dog was already spayed or neutered). I've watched a lot of puppies get chipped, and lots of dogs of various ages and sizes while at 'chip & eye clinics' etc. The needle is indeed big and scary looking but after watching numerous dogs (and some very small puppies) get chipped I was surprised to see that many barely seem to notice it. We had one puppy that yelped - and that particular puppy yelped at every shot it ever got, and the vaccines used tiny needles. I think she was just a chicken like me. Most of our other pups scarcely stopped licking the vet tech. Just don't look at that needle, it really is something!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived