CairnTalk

Breeders in New England/Price

BEL

At the risk of offending anyone, I would like to ask what the average price is for a cairn from a reputable breeder. I am also looking for recommended breeders in the New England area. I live in MA. I have visited with one who I really like, and her price is 1500.00 for a "pet quality" puppy. I know price is not the most important aspect of buying but I am going through a divorce and don't want to over pay. Thanks!!

Hi,

You might try the breeder referral contact for these 2 cairn terrier clubs:

http://www.hctclub.com/

http://www.potomacctc.org/

Good luck!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

The Cairn Terrier Club of America has a breeder referral page where you can search for member-breeders by geography: Find Breeders. These breeders are all members of the national parent club for the Cairn Terrier breed. The affiliated regional clubs Greg listed are also excellent resources. :thumbsup:

Purchase price is a scant fraction of the lifetime cost of a pet. Prices do seem to vary a bit by geography. An active enthusiast breeder with a deep knowledge of pedigrees, including genetic and health information for generations - is fully justified in asking a stout price for the investment they have made, not just the financial investments (which can be considerable, in terms of travel, testing, and so on) but also in time, in knowledge, in energy, and in heartbreak. In our area, the borderline mill breeders (and for convenience sake I'm lumping into that category the 'backyard' breeders who don't work their dogs, don't show their dogs, and don't take their own dogs back) seem to charge about half what the responsible breeders charge. Oddly pet shops, featuring dogs from the worst breeders imaginable, tend to charge the same or more than a conscientious breeder charges.

If you want some sticker shock on another cute dog, check out Norfolk/Norwich :w00t:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

We paid $1,100. That was about 3 1/2 years ago. I recall this discussion coming up before and I remember that most people paid around $1000.

ETA: Our breeeders show their dogs and will take back a dog that doesn't work out for whatever reason. Mia, our second Cairn, had actually been returned by her first owner.

If you want some sticker shock on another cute dog, check out Norfolk/Norwich

You're not kidding Brad! Last month I took the boys to my groomer... who breeds Cairns and Norwich (Ft. Dix)Terriers ... She had Fiona a 12 week old Norwich bitch who was the cutest little puppy I have seen in a long time. She had come from a litter of 3 girls, her sisters were in Michigan with another breeder who is going to show them... Poor little Fiona was just 'a little too long in the back' according to Gail the groomer. Since Finoa came with Gail to the shop everyday she is getting really well socialized and was just...well..... spunky.... pretty well behaved for a Terrier puppy.... and a delight--------I wanted her! Gail said to me "Ah Tracy before you get too attached, Fiona is $2500.00... and she may still grow into her back and be show quality....

I replied "Well if I didn't think that my husband would divorice me, I'd take her home with me. But he said we need a 3rd dog like I need another hole in my head".

Bratt played with Fiona a little, Mettwurst really wanted nothing to do with her.... she kept ambushing them!

When I go back in Nov for my next grooming session I'll take a photo of Fiona if Gail still has her....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Sure you can ask. We do require that recommendations of specific breeders take place off-line, by email or PM. This helps prevent arguments about fairness to breeders who aren't online, discussion of the merits or demerits of specific individuals, spamming by commercial breeders trying to use CTF as advertising, and so on.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more with what Bradl has said here. It is important to note that whatever price you pay, you will never look back upon the price of the dog, it becomes inconsequential once the relationship with the dog is there. I would have paid $10k for my dog had I known what I know now about him.

As far as breeders go, easy entry, easy exit from this business unfortunately, which means the business will attract some bad people looking to make a buck, or people that THINK they love Cairns but really just don't get it. My experience through the process of interviewing breeders was that there was more bad than good ones. And then there are pet stores, which I would BEG you stay away from at all costs for this breed-please don't support them.

There are good breeders out there for Cairns thankfully, and the fact there is not a cache around owning a Cairn is a good thing for us true Cairn lovers. For me personally, my breeder bred for Health and temperment, and believed Conformation falls into place once you get those two things right. When she told me this, it was a big reason I chose a dog from her kennel, and I couldn't be happier with the relationship. This breed is a blessing to dog lovers.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

• 2 weeks later...

In the south, GA and FL they are asking 1500. I haven't really had a litter on the market to sell yet but that is what they are getting around here. I do know that most do not let the puppies go until they are 12 weeks old and have had all the shots, dew claws removed, and many have a health certificate from a vet. My understanding is that some states require it now. I know of a breeder that goes ahead and pays for the micro chip so that she can be the second contact if they are lost.

My only hope as a breeder is that the people who purchase my pups treat them like a family member!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

removing the dewclaws from a pup is mutilation as far as I am concerned and I personally wouldn't patronize a breeder that does it.

Sad that someone would remove them for no good reason, it's completely unnecessary, and quite honestly cruel.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

We paid 300 for our pup. we got him from a back yard breeder who used to show them. He is only pet quality. The breeder would take him back and board him if we ever go out of town. Maybe dogs are just cheaper around here.

• 2 weeks later...
removing the dewclaws from a pup is mutilation as far as I am concerned and I personally wouldn't patronize a breeder that does it.

Sad that someone would remove them for no good reason, it's completely unnecessary, and quite honestly cruel.

I thought you might want some information why dew claws are removed, it is not done to mutilate a dog it is done for the benefit of the Cairn. My Rebel has his and it got caught and had to have a stitch and it bleed so much. He was in a great deal of pain. I wish I had them removed when he was neutered because it was very painful for him. I think dew claw removal is in the same care as spaying and neutering, it is done ti prevent health problems that can arise later in life like cancer. You are intitled to your opinion but my experience sides with getting them removed and my vet assured me that it is best done when they are first born because of healing time and pain.

Here is other information I found on dew claws it is NOT do because they look better it is done to help the dogs, Cairns are diggers, climbers and a very active breed. I know how strongly you feel but I am going to make sure puppies I breed have them removed because I don't want any of my babies in the pain like Rebel and done as a puppy by my vet is just proper care in my opinion.

It is common practice in many breeds to remove the dew claws 2-4 days after birth. It should be done by a vet, who can use sterile instruments and prescribe an antibotic. Most dew claw removal is bloodless and painless. Vet uses nexabond skin glue to close the skin after dew claw is removed. Dew claws are removed as they tend to get catch on clothes and other things later in life. They also reduce the amount of nails that need to be cut. Dew claw nails are sometimes very difficult to cut in an adult dog.

As a vet tech, I almost always advise removal of back dewclaws. It can be very dangerous to leave them on, not to mention extremely painful for the dog, and more expensive to the owner if and when they cause problems. Especially "unattached" dewclaws.

Why Dew Claws Might Need To Be Removed

Rest assured that most dogs with dewclaws do just fine without having to remove the dewclaws.

But sometimes the dew claws are not "properly attached". They may also "dangle" or "hang", or just get in the way during the normal course of playing and walking.

Not to mention the fact that dogs with dew claws who also like to dig a lot, will sometimes irritate the dew claw, or even break the dew claw bone (not all dew claws have bones). This could usually happens when reaching through a chain link fence or something similar.

If the dew claws on your dog's front or rear paws seem to easily get caught on things, then they could easily rip off -- which would be very painful for the dog. In this case, you should talk with your vet about whether or not to have the dewclaw(s) removed.

Liz

You can try and convince me and anyone else all day long they should be removed, and I have talked to my vet (Tufts trained) about it, he says absolutely not..And a vet tech telling me they have to be removed as a rule is almost comical, of course a vet would say that to make more $$. You should find a new vet if they are telling you to remove anything more than unattached rear dew claws.

And quite honestly the logic is flawed here, you cause pain to prevent pain? But to cause unnecessary stress and pain by removing them ALL at once in the first place, makes no sense to me. I would rather take my chances that ONE gets injured later, which the chances are low, than purposely remove ALL, and stress the dog out and cause it unnecessary pain and anguish. Honestly, you might be the nicest person in the world and I mean you no ill-will, but this to me is mutilation and a typical example of more man-made meddling, in my non-expert opinion. Personally, I feel breeders could just leave the pups alone and let good breeding, and ultimately proper eugenics and evolution take their due course. Are you breeding that out of them at the same time?? Hopefully.

For anyone who cares to know, 3/4s of my breeders dogs are born without rear dewys, and the fronts are left on, including my dog who is 3 now, never a problem. And he is incredibly adventurous, and active.

-Hoagland

Scooter for some reason when he was a puppy had to have them removed, my breeder said she usually never removes them but I think it was "dangling". I didn't know much about it. He may even still have the others, i have no idea, LOL. Never really thought about it. I got Sadie from her also and Sadie still has hers.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Newcairn I guess we both know two things first basically we can agree that we disagree on this issue and 2nd we are probably both as stubborn as or Cairns. :surrender:

Liz

Liz

Archived