CairnTalk

Grooming Fiasco!

mOmOfaBe

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share our sad story with you. We decided to have Abe groomed at the vets office. When we picked up our poor little guy......he had been turned into a Scottish Terrier! I just about swallowed my tongue!!

Hubby and I learned a valuable lesson, needless to say!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

I just hope his coat will not be terribly affected by this mistake.

SignaturePics.jpg

I once saw somebody's westie. After "grooming," he looked like a banker. And not only that, he had a mustache like that cartoon walrus. At least the scottish terrier look is respectable.

I had two friends who brought their dogs in for grooming. The dogs came out "pink" --they had been clipped too close to the skin.

Mom of Abe,

I feel sorry for poor little Abraham. When you mentioned the beard, I began to think of Wes in the same position, looking like Mitch Miller.

Can you trim his beard a little?

I know when I went to the hairstylist, I had to fix the job when I got home. Eventually I gave up and just cut my own hair.

Don't worry, this too shall pass.

A few months ago I saw a photo of a cropped cairn. His owner had shaved him so he'd look like a lion.

"Sally"

Dear Mom of Abe,

I feel your pain. Years ago we once had a wonderful Scottie whom we took to the groomer and she came out looking like a Schnauser. She knew she didn't look like herself. Her attitude showed it.

Now, this is the incentive you need to start taking care of your boy yourself. You know how you want your boy to look now get started. Alittle at a time.

If you have to use sissors to trim and then strip. Get your Mars king comb, a pumice stone, a stripping knife, a spot to do it on, cookies for being a good boy and a smile on your face knowing this too you will accomplish. :D

It's hair it will grow back. Make lemonaide out of lemons or in your case a Cairn from a Scottie.

I'm with you........... :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

We were so shocked when we saw Abe, neither of us had it in us to fuss at the vet's office! After all, what was the point, now?!

I am glad to know his hair won't be ruined in any way.

Lori, that was the first thing James said, guess I am going to buy one of those king combs, etc.....

One last comment, I could tell Abe was uncomfortable, like he picked up on our shock at his looks! and he was terrified being in the cage, since this is not a normal routine for him.

Thanks again.

Valerie

SignaturePics.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Mom of Abe,

I feel sorry for poor little Abraham.    When you mentioned the beard, I began to think of Wes in the same position, looking like Mitch Miller. 

I'm with Sally on this one - No respectable dog should look like Mitch Miller! Luckily, Abe is a boy. I would be beside myself if Molly came home looking like Mitch Miller.

Imagine my surprise when we picked up the 4 year old male we adopted. His body was shaved with the exception of what appeared to be a hula skirt. When his coat grows in, I'd like to groom him myself. Is that a reasonable idea?

I got the grooming book from the Cairn Terrier Club and although it was quite intimidating to follow what they were doing, I found the Mars Coat King to be a really good tool. I use it like a comb only gently and could not believe the soft fur that came out of my Cairns. I could have made a coat or two for myself!

I haven't attempted the ears yet....I may just pluck them and my girls are not too fond of me anywhere near their "backside"....all in good time. But there is so much less fur on my rugs/furniture since I started using it.

I like the shaggy look of the Carins and my girls will never be show dogs but at least I don't have to worry about picking up a Cocker Spaniel at Petco like the last time I had Winnie done. :shock:

I've heard/seen people using different ones. The #16 was recommended to me so that's the one we have. It's very effective, if a little big. Some minor hand finishing is still required, but it makes short work of a shaggy coat. It does a combination of raking, cutting, and pulling, all at once. It's very interesting and wonderful I think for dogs who won't see the ring. And those who have seen the last of it!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived