CairnTalk

Steps or ramp?

pammyfay

I need to find a way for Izzie to get up on the bed herself and off the bed and back on if she wishes. The jumping worries me (although she's only 16 months old and a good jumper),

plus I'm tired of having to pick her up everytime she jumps off to look out the window.

If you've tried either, do you think stairs or a ramp work best? We've already figured out that she won't jump up on an ottoman to jump onto the bed.

We haven't had any experience with a ramp, but I made a set of steps for Bailey to use so that he could see out our living room picture window and he uses them every day. Sometimes I wonder if it was such a good idea when he's barking at whatever is going on outdoors. Steps probably wouldn't take up as much floor space in your bedroom as a ramp would, if that is a consideration for you. If Izzie isn't used to steps, you can lure her up using treats, and comming down usually takes care of itself. I've seen both steps and ramps in the dog magazines that we are inundated with every month. Good Luck

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

If my dogs slept with me I wouldn't want them to get down, lol. Maybe keep the cat's sanity for a while longer.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

We've got a cedar chest at the end of our bed and it's a very easy height for Packy to jump on, then up to the bed. He usually doesn't bother when he gets down, just jumps off the side. We had the same set-up with our first Cairn, Willie, and he could handle it until very close to the end at 16 yrs. old.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I have a small bench, which I had covered in velvet with tassels so it goes very well in a traditional antique room. Both my pups use this. Both were around 6 months old before they were able to jump as I have a very high "rice" bed. Sparky still likes to be assisted down, but that gives me one more ounce of control

I find it funny when people say their dog won't use steps to go up. As smart as these dogs are... I'll bet she'd go up if you didn't pick her up.

Mollie:Mollie.jpgLena:Lena.jpg

Archived