CairnTalk

Cool tricks to teach Cairns?

onesojourner

We have taught are dog sit and lay down. we are working on stay. What are you guys teaching your dogs that impress the friends?

we have those and we do roll over and twirl...working on getting him to jump over my leg extended on command...he loves doing agility so shouldn't be too hard :D

Bark on command, Sit pretty, dance and currently working on roll over

These are in addition to the standard obedience commands....our goal is to work on getting CD and RN titles eventually. Waiting for the opportunity for Earthdog and contemplating agility as well....but we are doing alot right now.

The most impressive trick of all is a well behaved, well adjusted dog....too many dogs out there that have not had anyone take the time to work with them.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

We've taught Chewie to "shake", "wave" and "choose". We put a treat in one closed fist and ask him to pick which one has the treat. Of course he can smell the treat but it's too cute when he lifts that furry little paw and gently touches your fist! He seems to enjoy performing and if he sees you loading a kong with peanut butter he'll start doing every trick he knows just to speed up the process.

Our most popular trick is "Bang". We point our finger like a gun at Packy and say, "Bang" and he drops down onto his side and plays dead. Sometimes we miss though (we're not good shots apparently), and have to do it again. His best trick is sitting up, because he does that naturally. He can sit up forever!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

so far I have taught angel and scotty to roll over and spin and recently got Scotty to walk on my mom's tread mill!

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Not cute but useful as we are on our vacation now. Cassie just learned to load into her crate when it is in the back of the wagon. No more bending down and picking her up which is good because she weighs 17 pounds. She stayed at the kennels in disneyland day before yesterday. We greeted lots of folks outside the gates too. If you want to train your dog to get used to kids and monorails it's the place to be. She alerted to every grate and hedge so it's my guess they have lots of rats there and I don't mean the cute glove wearing kind.

Archived