CairnTalk

How long do your dog toys last?

kayharley

Madison, my 6 mth. old can destroy a well-made toy in less than 10 minutes! I've tried the Kongs, the Fat Cat and now these double stitched Three Dog Bakery buddies. It's getting so expensive for her playthings. So far the only toys she hasn't demolished are the nylon ropes and that's only because they are not a favorite. She loves the furry stuffed ones.....I watch her diligently but in a matter of minutes, the ears are gone and the stuffing is all over the floor. My hubby has said, "NO MORE TOYS"....now I'm going to have to sneak them in. :(

Right now, Wes' toys are a corduroy swatch and a towel. I snip off the ragged ends, so to an outsider it seems he is feasting on them.

Abe's Favorites include 2 rubber squeaky chew toys that are both mutilated, a ball of old socks that Momofabe has sewn together to make a football shaped wad. and tennis balls

Hi! I guess I am one of the luckier Cairn owners - - Riley doesn't chew his toys up - - he just plays with them. He has a basket of all different kinds of toys including the stuffed ones. Since he was little he has had a tiny stuffed bear and it is still intact. We always made it a point to play with him with all these toys instead of just letting him amuse himself - - maybe that made a difference. And I always gave him "kongs" and hard bones to chew on.

A friend told me to rotate his toys also - - it's like getting new toys all over again!!

Dudley has treated some of his toys with "respect", while others he can't wait to dismantle them completely.

His favorites are the toys based around a tennis ball base with a squeaker or a bell inside the ball. We've given him a lion, a monkey, and a duck, and he's about destroyed the first 2 of these. He loves to get it in his mouth, and SHAKE it hard! A few time he'll shake them so hard, he'll knocked himself silly for a second.

I use the kongs with my "killer puppy" - he's 9 yrs. He adores any kind of squeaky but his current record for destruction is about 2 minutes. Sometimes I'll take a squeaky fabric toy and sew it inside the leg of an old pair of jeans. The denim stands up pretty well. He loves the furry toys but it looks like some kind of massacre has occurred within minutes. I buy kids toys at the second hand store if they are really sturdy and take off any buttons or eyes or other removable parts. He does loves "chase the stuffed animal and shake it apart"

My dog loves the teething toys that you can buy for babies. I go to the local dollar store and get them. Especially during the first year they really helped with the chewing. The key rings seem to be the favorite and they last a long time.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Archived