CairnTalk

Mett & Bratt's day at the Cincinnati Nature Center

Tracy A.

This year I purchased a membership with the Cincinnati Nature Center. Earlier this week I took Mett & Bratt there for several hours of hiking on the trails there. The center is 1,025 acres with miles of trails. Best part is that this is a private operations, not owned by the county and Dogs are very welcome.

72305886375001.jpg

72306417625045.jpg

72306495750056.jpg

Here is a picture of the Racoon that the boys treed.

72306683250078.jpg

Next picture is the Deer the boys saw and 'went full on crack dog at'

7230691762501011.jpg

Log Cabin circa 1780

728552926250012.jpg

Brattwurst flushed some quail, they are just out of frame of the picture....

728556207500113.jpg

This pond was full of really big Bull Frogs, the boys didn't not like them one bit!

728557926250315.jpg

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

it very pretty look like you guys had lots of fun...you should go up to this park called Hocking Hills its between cincy and columbus dogs are welcome it has lots of hiking trails, caves, and plenty of steams for puppies to walk through.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Too fun, Tracy! What an awesome day for you guys. And that racoon pic is great. We live out in the country and have deer cross through our "neighborhood". Crunch goes "crack" dog quite often, so I know the feeling. Do you guys have very many problems with ticks when you take a hike such as this one? The hike we did in May at a state park was great, but it was a tick infested area.

We've taken the boys there numours times and i've never had them pickup a tick. We stay on the trails and they keep the underbush/trees well away from the trails- I keep the boys out of any tall grass too. We also have a few neighboorhood deer who as of last year started visiting our yard, so I took the percaution and had the boys vaccinated for Lyme and another tick bourn disease that I can't recall right now. I had avoided adding the vaccinations on because I really hate the idea of over vaccinating them, but with deer in my front yard I felt it was the best thing to do- I did hold off until on the vaccinations until I knew that they had the potential to be exposed to a deer tick... Thankfully I have never pulled a deer tick off them! I do use the K9 advantix and had some tick issues (picked up in our yard) when the dose wasn't high enough for the boys (used the box 20# and it wasn't enough), but took care of that by splitting the 55# in half for them so they get a 27# dog dose which is just right- I didn't feel right giving them a dose for a 40# dog so I came up with the solutions of splitting A higher dose so it was closer to their weight.

What lovely pictures...I'd love to live in that cabin!

I wonder why the racoon was out and about during the day...or did your crew wake him up?

Tracy that is a really cool place to hike, lucky you. And I also like the idea of breaking the dose in half. Ellie is right at the ragged edge for the next dose too....I'll have to remember that.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Tracy that is a really cool place to hike, lucky you. And I also like the idea of breaking the dose in half. Ellie is right at the ragged edge for the next dose too....I'll have to remember that.

One item I highly suggest is a irrigation syringe, they are needless but have a nosel, I use one so I can exactly draw out half the dose and apply it. I leave the other half in the container. Just google irrigation syringe and you can find a bunch of places where you can by them-

That was a beautiful place to hike. It looks like the kids had a great time. Love the picture of the deer-they are so delicate looking. I wish we had a place like that!

Archived