CairnTalk

Finicky Eaters

Izabella's Mom

I always wonder when people describe their dogs as finicky eaters, what they are feeding their dogs. I bet it is "kibble." I can't imagine feeding my dog dry dead food out of a bag every day for every meal. I can akin that to eating dry cereal out of a box every day, every meal. I feel so sorry for dogs that anxiously await their meal... the bag of "food" is poured in the bowl, the dog looks at it and hesitates, walks away maybe and comes back and nibbles at it out of desparation.

When people say that eating is a celebration in their house, I can guess what they are feeding. Homemade, or maybe even a good quality canned food. I also wonder at the distinction between human food and dog food. Good food is good food and junk food is junk food, whether it's made for humans, like fluffy white bread, or for dogs, like many commercial kibbles that have a list of ingredients that are far removed from their original form. How about turkey meal? That sounds so disgusting. Why not give your dog turkey instead?

Well, i have to disagree with you!! I have one of those "finicky eaters".

Since the Food re-call I have been cooking for my 2 dogs, my Cairn Napoleon turns his face to everything I make, I make chicken breast for them, which sammy loves, i put brown Rice and some type of vegetable, like sweet potato or carrots. Some days he will eat it without hesitation, others he will start covering up the minute I put the dish down.

I try to vary what i cook, but i give them mostly chicken because my vet say is best, turkey has too much fat.

I went and purchase canidae dry kibble after reading all the good recommendations in this forum, he wants no part of it...

I asked the vet to check his jaws, teeth, gums to rule out that he was in any pian or disconfort and he is fine, he eats when he want to.

some days I opt to chase him with his food dish and sit with him and hand feed him, because I don't want to leave for work and leave him hungry, but I think that one of these days I will just ignore him and if he eats he eats and if not he will have to wait until dinner...hopefully one day he will be normal!!! :surrender:

Napi's Mom: Hey I agree with you...I too have one finicky eater. She has enjoyed the home made meal as of the food recall...yet, there are days! We also sit with them to hand feed to get something in their tummies. We use the chicken, turkey and they seem to really perk up at the cooking of kidney....yeah I know (for me eeek!) Anyway, to know what is going into their tummies is a real concern and we are really a lot more relaxed knowing we cooked it and they seem to like most days. Sometimes I wonder if they get to overheated to eat or is it boredom? Anyway, we feed the Merrick dry and add our food. Bone Appetite.

Well, i have to disagree with you!! I have one of those "finicky eaters".

some days I opt to chase him with his food dish and sit with him and hand feed him, because I don't want to leave for work and leave him hungry, but I think that one of these days I will just ignore him and if he eats he eats and if not he will have to wait until dinner...hopefully one day he will be normal!!! :surrender:

Why isn't he hungry? Does he get enough exercise? Is he perhaps spoiled in that you will keep trying different things trying to get him to eat?

You say you have to leave him and go to work -- is he alone all day?

I definately would not chase him to eat unless he was sick. I can't believe a healthy, hungry dog that gets enough exercise would refuse to eat meat.

We could put down a bowl of pebbles and Ruby would eat it. In fact, the only time she barks is when we carry her bowl to her feeding area. She barks and hops all the way - so excited. You'd think we starved her. If something falls on the floor in the kitchen, she's on it like white on rice. We are very fortunate that she is not the least bit picky.

Archived