CairnTalk

WANTED-Male Cairn Pup-New England

newcairn

Hello, my wife and I are looking to get a little Male pup at some point in the near future. We are not locked into a certain time (although the sooner the better) we need to get it since we consider health and breeder reputation more important things to look for first. My wife grew up with one of these dogs and would want any other.

I guess my first concern is the price of these dogs, in my preliminary researching I have found these dogs to be very expensive. I mean I have not had one quote below $1000, this is more expensive than the trendiest of dogs I have seen on the market. Not sure why this is. Most breeders seem concerned about people purchasing from 'puppy mills' but charge above market-average prices for their Carins, this in some way encourages people to buy from a puppy mill. No? I don't mean to get hung up on price, but it is of course a concern for anything you buy these days, from a car, to having children of your own, there is always a financial consideration.

If there are any Breeders in the New england area with litters soon my wife and I would interested in meeting you and possibly purchasing an animal. THX

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

>I mean I have not had one quote below $1000, this is more expensive than the trendiest of dogs I have seen on the market.

I'm not sure what market you are looking at as a neighbor just bought a cockapoo (cocker spaniel and poodle mix) for $850. Norwich and Norfolk can be $2,000 and Westies often sell for more than Cairns here in Va. Even pet store Cairns here sell for $700. Stud fees are $500 and up and then add in vet expenses, etc hobby breeders often don't even make a profit on a litter. Hobby breeders also give back to the breed in donations to the health foundation and rescue efforts. Hobby breeders also do health exams on their animals in addtion to the routine health exams and that expense can add up over time.

One can always sell a Cairn for less by cutting corners but then that would not suit a hobby breeder who is striving to produce the best in health, temperment and looks in each and every litter. Striving to produce the best is expensive.

If the price of a puppy seems too high for you then perhaps you would consider a rescue Cairn. Check out the rescue sites at www.cairnterrier.org www.cairnrescueusa.com www.cairnrescue.com and www.petfinder.org The perfect Cairn for you might be waiting in a foster home.

all the best,

Lynda Hammel

Archived