CairnTalk

Is this a breed fore me?

alica

Hello. I'm thinking of bying a puppy but I'm not sure of which breed. I want a dog that isn't to big, is nice, very happy, energic, loves to play, doesn't loose to much fur every day, is cuddly, friendly, likes walking (everything between 30 minutes to 2 hourse), barks if someone arrives and is pretty easy to train (since it's my first dog so I havn't got any experience). Does this sound like a Cairn :confused: ?

I've also wonder if it walks fast? I know this is a weird question, but it I walk pretty fast and the Cairn's legs are so short.. :innocent:.

A little ahead thanks fore answers! // Alicia

"and is pretty easy to train "

In general most Carin's can be very stubborn, I would not in general classify them as easy to train. They take a lot of patience

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

i agree with everything mystic said. the first year of a cairn's life is very trying --they are hyperenergetic and hyperintelligent, and so will test and try everything possible, either out of curiosity or out of an attempt to assert themselves. if you spoil them they will be a misery and possibly a menace. if you put in the necessary time and mental discipline, they will become the best dog you can imagine. you'll probably end up on one side or the other. it depends more on you than on the dog.

the formula you give sounds to me more like a shih-tzu --extremely lovely and lovable dogs, very, very happy, and generally healthy if you don't mind a risk of eye problems.

I would personally say that Cairns are challenging compared to some other breeds - so you definately have to put some work into the dog for the first two years - but the rewards are numerous. They are very loyal, lovable and a great dog.

Yes - my Cairn loves to walk fast. I am also a fast walker, so we fit well together. But when my husband tries to take a "stroll" with Bruski, its difficult because he accustomed to walking quickly.

Also, the "cuddly" part really depends on the Cairn - they are very independent. However, now that Bruski is getting old, he likes to cuddle when he's getting petted and makes sure he's touching us when he's playing with his bone, etc.

I would echo the sentiments expressed already. Cairns are not the easiest dogs to train. That being said, mine are both under two years old so I have hope yet that I can break their naughty habits such as excessive barking, pulling on the leash when walking, regressing in their potty training if I give them too much freedom in the house, jumping up on and barking like crazy dogs at my house guests... Would I think twice about having them, no way! Would I like them to mellow with age, yes way! :)

Jetersmom(and Bernie's)

Hello. I'm thinking of bying a puppy but I'm not sure of which breed. I want a dog that isn't to big, is nice, very happy, energic, loves to play, doesn't loose to much fur every day, is cuddly, friendly, likes walking (everything between 30 minutes to 2 hourse), barks if someone arrives and is pretty easy to train (since it's my first dog so I havn't got any experience). Does this sound like a Cairn :confused: ?

I've also wonder if it walks fast? I know this is a weird question, but it I walk pretty fast and the Cairn's legs are so short.. :innocent:.

A little ahead thanks fore answers! // Alicia

Hi Alicia,

I do not find Cairns hard to train, they are about middle-of-the-road when it comes to training and stubborness. Not as easy as a German Shepherd, but easier than a Yorkie.

They are excellent with children, will walk as fast and a long as you want them to (when they are adults, no puppy of any breed should be walked very far), very cheerful, don't shed, intelligent and love everyone. They can be very energetic - although one of the two I have now is the most laid back dog I've every owned. Some really do not like to cuddle - although one of them I have now (not the laid back one) thinks that laps were created for him to sit on and sleep :-)

So basically - it all depends not only on the breed, but on the individual dog.

Stacey

Archived