CairnTalk

bathing

I am a new Cairn owner and am wandering about bathing my dog. I have been told by one not to bathe but every two to three months, an article I read said once a month and another didn't say how often but to use an oil based shampoo so as not to dry out skin. If you are supposed to wait long periods of time in between bathing how do you keep them from smelling bad.

This has been my experience---Cairns with double coats as in hard outer coats that are stripped out occassionally and soft undercoats shed dirt more effectively than Cairns that are cut or clippered thus producing a softer coat. Also, the activities that a Cairn engages in will impact how often he will need a bath.

A good brushing several times a week with a pin brush is useful in maintaining a healthy coat and skin.

I have found that if I use a good gentle DOG shampoo and RINSE (very important!!!!) all of the shampoo out then I can bath as often as once a week with no ill effects. The coats will sometimes soften after a bath but within a week are back to their normal texture.

Have you asked your vet for suggestions on shampoos?

Lynda

Thank you for replying. I take her in 2 1/2 more weeks and I will ask then.

I am having another problem we are trying to housebreak her and she is doing pretty good but when it is wet outside she will not do anything but stand there. We walked her last night for an hour and a half with it sprinkling and she wouldn't do anything until she got back inside. She also did it this morning because it is still sprinkling outside. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Sasha,

My 5 year old Cairn will not walk on wet grass! I think she's just being a little prissy girl-she doesn't like water much! I think maybe she just had a bad experience with water before she came to us. My husband and I have to pick her up and place her on the grass (yes, sometimes two and three times) before she'll go! She has US trained right? :D

Just make sure that you take your pup out every 2 to 3 hours, as the little guys have little bladders. Good luck and great choice of a pup!!

:mrgreen:

I have to bathe my puppy almost everyday because he does his business in his crate and walks, lays etc. all over it. After reading these posts I'm wondering if I'm doing him more harm than good.

• 7 months later...
I have to bathe my puppy almost everyday because he does his business in his crate and walks, lays etc. all over it.  After reading these posts I'm wondering if I'm doing him more harm than good.

How large is the crate? Most dogs ABSOLUTELY will hold it if it means laying in it. I'm thinking that maybe your crate is too large???

• 3 weeks later...
I have to bathe my puppy almost everyday because he does his business in his crate and walks, lays etc. all over it.  After reading these posts I'm wondering if I'm doing him more harm than good.

yes my puppy loves to play in his business all the time, i will be buying him a suit soon...

Archived