CairnTalk

Are 2 dogs easier than 1?

ckthomas00

My husband and I have talked about getting a second dog. While working with our trainer on Tuesday night, he mentioned that Bruski would most likely benefit from having a companion.

For those of you who have 2 dogs:

- is it difficult to handle 2 dogs?

- did you find your 1st dog's behavior improved and/or changed?

- what else should I be aware of?

Thanks!

We have been very happy with two. We didn't plan on it so quick. They are 1/2 brothers 4.5 mos and 6.5 mos. They keep each other company have a blast playing together and my daugther and I take them training together so we love having the two.

Depends on what your definition of difficult is.... doing two at the same time is difficult for training and potty purposes - but if you have them at different ages it might not be as bad (depending on if they like each other of course); I find trouble in my house travels in two... if one is naughty the other joins in (hince my smashed new flower bed :() One might until the end of time bully or be the dominant personality - so you might find yourself supervising the two together for awhile until they get acqauinted - but I think personally that having multiples is great (after the puppy stage is over)

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

I can't recall how old Bruski is-? But if he is over his 'teenage' stage and doing well with house training, chewing, and most behavior issues- You will find that when the puppy comes into the house that Bruski will mentor the puppy.... show him the ropes so to say. Many people have talked about how an older dog helps in rearing the puppy- leading by example. You can see if you have some behavior issues how this can be troublesome!

I recall when I had German Shepherds, and my male 'puppy' was about 5 months old- I watched my older female teach the youngster which trucks to bark at (e.g. the UPS truck and mail truck) and not to bother with the rest. I also recall watching my older female swat the puppy when he ran off with a shoe, she knew he shoudn't be chewing it and inforced it.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I wouldn't want to start out with two at the same age. We talked about a second one right after getting Kai-lee and decided it would be best after she was one year old and preferably during spring/summer so we could potty train in the warmer months...I'm not big on winters! Our plan worked out perfectly, Keegan came home at 9weeks and Kai-lee was a year and a half old. I think it has been great! They were introduced slowly, and we never left them alone unsupervised. It was hard walking them together early on. They each eat and sleep in their own crates. I think it's good that they have their own space at times. They play and wrestle all the time, they lay together and rest during the day, share the same drinking bowl etc. Kai-lee loves him and she has been great with him. There's times when he starts to act up and she feels the need to correct him never mind that if she was alone she would act the same way he does. If I correct him she also feels she should put her two cents worth in! All in all sometimes it amazes me how much they are like two young siblings. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. I really think it has been great for both of them!

with my two dogs went through potty training at the same time they taught each other to go outside. Usually when one would go the other would go at the same time. Same thing when one was in training classes the other wanted to learn how to do the same things and would mock it when we practiced at home. My two are great companions. They can be a bit of a handful. My house is crazy they run back and forth chasing each other all the time.( we live in an apartment and have no yard).They always have to sleep either on each other or right next to each other. When we got the second dog our first dog calm down alot. She wasn't hyper all the time any more at all. the second dog is still full of energy all the time. My two are only 3 months apart they are great companions for each other and we are very happy that we have both of them.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

having 2 is great for keeping each other company, I think that is one of the reasons Napoleon is so well behaved, although him and Sammy a (mix breed) have totally opposite personalities....Sammy is 4 1/5 and Napoleon is 1 1/2 and he is the dominat of the pack, I love watching them play tug of war and although Sammy could probably fling Napoleon across the room if he wanted to its amazing how gentle he is with him!!

I love my 2.

Bruski is almost 2 years old - I guess my only concern is that he has a very dominant personality. I'm hoping he would accept the other dog as a playmate/companion rather than view the dog as a threat to his territory. That probably takes time.

Most likely, we would rescue a dog from a shelter or try to find a Cairn that someone is giving away. I'm ready right now, but my husband just told me on the phone that he's not interested until the end of the summer. With vacation coming up, he's probably right!

you can try the cairn rescue they can pair a dog that would be right for your family

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

We really lucked out with our two. They get along great and have never fought. (knock on wood!)

Scout and Finch are almost exactly 2 years apart. We adopted Finch so that she would keep Scout company. Scout wanted to play constantly and we thought another dog would help her.

Well, Scout is now very mellow and now Finch wants to play all the time! Scout will play with her, but not to the degree Finch would like.

I like having two. They play together, wrestle, chase each other around the yard which gets their energy out. They tend to go outside together so its not much more work in that way. They get along pretty well and they are both male. My oldest is a little bigger and a little more dominant and will sometimes discipline my younger if he doesn't like what he is doing but never too malicious.

Jetersmom(and Bernie's)

Archived