CairnTalk

Ellie and Black Lady

fiddler927

I got both dogs to the groomer yesterday, and for the first time, they were both very afraid! Same groomer as always, but I had to drag them behind the counter, and when I left, Ellie started barking furiously. I felt so guilty! But they both look great. Once again I am surprised at how much red-gold there is Ellie's coat now! Here are the links to pictures:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/fi...lackLady001.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/fi...lackLady002.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/fi...lackLady003.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r184/fi...lackLady004.jpg

Black Lady is the one wearing the scarf (don't know why they didn't put one on Ellie

Laurie

they are gorgeous, i love the colour of ellie and black lady is adorable i love wee scotties but maybe im being biased :P

I have been in love with Scotties ever since I was little and saw "Lady and the Tramp" at the theater, but I never actually saw a real one. I love the fact that our President has two.

When I finally had the opportunity to buy one, I found that she acts just like the one in the film; obviously, whoever animated that film was a keen observer of dogs!

Ironically, when my daughter bought Ellie, she was told that she was a Scottie mix, but mostly Scottie. But her head was much too small for a Scottie, and so many people asked me if she were a Cairn that I did some research, and there's no doubt that she is, indeed, a Cairn. I have fallen in love with this breed as well.

Laurie

I am just amazed at the way more and more red comes out all the time. She was solidly black as a small puppy, but the contrast now between her and Black Lady (who is truly black) becomes more evident all the time.

Laurie

Laurie, I love Scotties too. I have had three Scotties (all now at Rainbow Bridge). My last Scottie was Jock, who I had for 10 years after getting him as a 3-year-old rescue in 1993. He was a wonderful little dog with a sweet disposition (not always present with Scotties!) and I still miss him. Your photos of Black Lady remind me of my sweet old fellow. Thank you!

pam

before i got a cairn i was thinking of a scottie and someone told me no they were difficult and rather stubborn and i was kinda :confused: so then i came across cairns and ended up with one but i love scotties but just wanted to know what thier temperament was like if they were similar to cairn's cause harvey is a typical terrier in every way.

Great pix. I am very curious about Scotties too. I have a Cairn and a Westie at the moment. 5 and 6 months old. You can imagine what a challenge they are. I was thinking a Scottie would be a cute addition. Not that I'm getting one...

Barbara

Well, yes, Scotties do have a stubborn streak (my dog's sire was named Ozark Lady Curmudgeon), and they definitely have their own agendas. Black Lady has never been mean, per se, but she can be aggressive at times, especially towards other dogs, although she's mellowing as she grows old (13 on May 15th). For the most part she's not aggressive toward people, unless she really takes a dislike to someone. I wouldn't necessarily have a Scottie with small children in the house; Black Lady has snapped at some kids, and she nipped my grandson once (my son wanted to know what his son had done to her). But then, she wasn't raised around small children, since my youngest was nearly ten when we got her. From everything I've read and seen, Cairns are usually good with children, but then my Ellie was raised with my youngest grandson living in the house with us at the time, so she grew up with children. She absolutely loves children, and she wants to play, play, play.

One of the good things about Scotties is that they aren't particularly noisy, and they aren't hyper, the way Cairns can be. Good apartment dogs, if that's where one happens to live. At least, that's been my experience.

Laurie

My Scottie Sandy lived to be 15: Lady Curmudgeon fitted her better and better as the years went by! She developed something of a temper and tended to boss my Westie around. Tried it on me too :D with less success.

pam

such sweeties! They look great! Terriers are simply the best!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

I agree: terriers are the best; smart, affectionate, playful.

Pam, Black Lady tried to boss Ellie, and it worked at first, until Ellie got big enough to defend herself. Since then, Black Lady has taken a more docile role, which is too bad in a way. Her personality isn't nearly dynamic enough to complete with Ellie. But they are so funny when they play together.

Laurie

Archived