CairnTalk

How can I tell

niks514

Hello I am new to the forums and I was wondering if there was a way to tell if my dog was a full-blood Carin? I got him from the human society 2 weeks ago and he is a 3 year old little boy...he is the sweetest dog I have ever met...just such a joy to have!! I put a pic on my avatar...he looks like some of the Carins but he does not have black ears.

post-2723-1180184384_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome. I'm no expert (far from it) but your little guy (who by the way is very cute) is the same colouring as my Susie and she is cairn through and through :lol: He looks like a cairn to me.

ctdogs.jpg

Hi, He looks just like my Gus and my Bonnie doesn't have black ears either and they are both pure breed and reg.

HI:

Do you have a pic that shows his body? BTW- when it comes to Cairn's, not all have black points. My two boys are brothers and Mett has black ears whereas Bratt doesn't.... well at least yet (LOL) his ears are geting darker as he gets older... yet another Cairn trait.... color change.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Well I can't be positive he is a full blood Cairn, but if I were judging by looks I would say he definitely looks like one!

Congrats on your new pup and welcome to the forum!

~Amber~

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Oh my is he ever a cutie! He looks like all Cairn to me. His coat is very shiney. What a sweetie. ENJOY him, time does fly by with these little one's. Kudo's to you for adopting from the shelter :thumbsup:

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

He looks like a Cairn to me too!

The Today Show had a segment on DNA tests for dogs! You can tell what breed(s) your dog is, but I don't know how much that would cost, and they didn't disclose that on the show.

I'd heard of the Canine Heritage Breed Test, ($72) but it appears Cairn is not among the 38 breeds it can currently identify. Apparently the Wisdom Panel MX mixed breed analysis (projected cost ~$130, expected to be available at vets in July) can distinguish 130 breeds, but I can't find a listing of which ones.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Welcome to the forum! Your little boy is adorable and to me, he looks like a Cairn to me. Lots of happiness with him and let's see more pictures!

I'm going to split hairs over this one! He looks all Cairn to me!

We too rescued a Cairn from our local Humane Shelter back in October. Unless the owners surrender the dog with papers, they can not "claim" any dog is full breed. Our Bailey was listed as "Cairn-mix" at the shelter, but we sure knew better!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

sheila and Misty

If he is a mix he may have some norwich terrier in him -they look verry similar to a cairn only they have thicker stalkier features and it seems a slightly longer body shorter leg look with a bigger head and nose. I almost got one of those. but whatever he is he looks cairn-ish enough to me. cute little bugger!

glad you adopted him. If I get another down the line I'd like to adopt one also. :thumbsup luck with your new family member.

Thanks!! He is a cutie!! After reading online and seeing pics I would say it is possible that he is a mix with he norwhich terrier...he has short little legs...this is a pic of him....either way we love him!! I just was trying to research more about his breed...thanks again!!

post-2723-1180405713_thumb.jpg

He looks Cairn to me!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Saidi likes him alot :hug:

Also she said to ask these questions to find out how much Cairn he has in him.

1. What's the first thing you do if you see a squirrel through the window?

2. What's the first thing you do if another dog walks past your house?

3. What do you do when something new is placed in your house?

4. What do you do when you see a dog on TV?

5. And finally, what do you do when there is nothing else to do?

If the answer to all or most of the above is BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, then he's probably mostly Cairn :D

Archived