CairnTalk

My Puppy Ate Her Kong

kayharley

After reading the Kong post, I decided to try a different kind of Kong for Madison, 6 months. I got the "space ship" one and within 10 minutes she ate off the ends. Worst part is I cannot find the rubber anywhere in the house. UGH... :sick:

Yipe. Our kongs are all bigger and rounder- Whew!

I used to give Wes cottage cheese containers to lick, and plastic soda bottles to play with. Until I noticed he was eating off the ends.

I think there's an amazing variety of non-foods that "gets processed" without anything bad happening. Can you imagine how I felt when Wes ate the foam out of this bed! Well, the foam came out looking the same as it went in. But I've hidden his bed.

Now he has developed an attraction for our couch. It never seems to end.

Good luck with Madison.

Hi! I have to be careful with Riley because of his liver shunt - - but to date he has never eaten anything that I thought could cause a problem. I am thinking that most puppies will try to eat almost anything without detriment to their health - - just be sure that the toys and "kongs" you give them are durable and made for active, healthy and curious pups!

Also, it goes without saying, never let a puppy do anything unsupervised. We do pull the loose plastic ring off water/soft drink bottles before giving them and take the whole thing away the minute they get to the flattened/puncturing/gnawing stage. Dogs will 'pass' an amazing variety of things, but there are always exceptions. One year's nylon footie-in-poop story might be another year's nylon footie bowel obstruction surgery story. Case in point: some years ago when I posted a a brief story about plum pits that came out all right, I heard from someone right away who had a dog with a plum pit that got stuck and caused a near-fatal blockage.

pits.jpg

I once read some survey somewhere that listed 'dietary indiscretion' as the number one cause of vet visits for dogs. Not sure if it's true, but sure sounds plausible the way dogs seem to eat just about anything.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I'd give my Maxwell a hard rubber ball that was guaranteed "chew proof," and in a few days of gnawing I'd take the remains back to the store for a new one. I tried lots of different things, but never did find anything Max couldn't chew up in a jiffy.

Just a question . . . those soup bones they sell in the supermarket . . . are they ok to give to Cairns?

Thanks,

--David

Hi! The soup bones they sell in the supermarket are the ones that I have been giving to my 10 month old puppy for quite some time. They last forever and he has never been able to break one up. I bake them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes - - let them cool - - and freeze the ones I am not using right away.

You can always fill them back up with a little cheese or peanut butter after they have cleaned all the marrow out of them. Just don't keep them around too long - - bacteria may set in and make the dog sick.

Archived