CairnTalk

Amount Of Food For Pup?

kayharley

I feed my 6 month old Iams....dry mixed with canned in the AM and just dry in the PM. She gobbles it up pronto and I'm just wondering if I'm feeding her enough....about 1 cup in the morning and maybe 3/4 in the evening.

How much do you feed your dogs, especially the young ones? My 10 year old is overweight and I don't want to make the same mistakes with Madison. Thanks

I have a female Cairn that is almost 2 years old. I feed her Eukanuba and she gets 2/3 of a cup per day! I put in several tablespoons of plain pumpkin in her food for constipation problems she was having.She is about 15 pounds. We give her a few very small dog treats (milk bones) at night.

Kayharley,

I agree with Shoe that Cody Wilson gets almost a cup of dry food per day. We feed him Science Diet chicken formula and he loves it. Now that it is colder we have begun adding a teaspoon of Linnatone every few days to keep his skin and coat from drying out and it works very well.

When he was a pup, we fed him wet food until he got around 9 months old then a mix of dry and wet, then all dry at around 1 year as it is much better for their teeth.

We feed him in the morning (around 7:00 AM) and then again in the evening (around 6:00PM), most mornings he just eats just a little but when we put it down while we eat our food, he almost always eats the rest. Every now and then he will leave a little and then we leave the bowl out until around 8:00 PM. He gets no more than 2 Iams biscuits a day usually after he has eaten his food.

The amounts you are feeding sound normal as long as your pup is not a large one. I always understood that it was better for a dog to finish what was in their bowl than leave some.

Cody was the runt of the litter but now weighs in at 13.5 pounds at 1 year 3 months old.

Hi! Riley is almost 11 months old and I feed him a cup of dry food per day - - sometimes in the morning I will mix it with a little bit of chicken or vegetables. He then gets a "kong" filled with frozen canned dog food as a treat sometime in the afternoon or early evening. He is not overweight at this point - - only 12 pounds and is full of energy!!! He never begs - - doesn't really like dog biscuits - - and always finishes his food at each feeding!

Archived