CairnTalk

Packy and His Fishy

kjwarnold

Packy caught another fish today. He was so happy about it and while he's usually a catch and release dog, he wanted to keep this one today for some reason. The poor little fish was so small you can barely see it in Packy's mouth. He carried that thing all over until I finally made him get rid of it. This is the fourth bluegill he's caught in a week -- he's getting really good!

post-1119-1179110610_thumb.jpg

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

How is the world is he catching them? As someone who fishes I'm just curious to know what technique he is using

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

LOL. Everyone remember about how in the film, "Incredile Journey 2, Homeward Bound",

the cat did all the fishing because the dogs could not? Those guys should've had

Packy along for the trip. :D

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Way to go Packy! I'd like to know myself how the heck he does it. And I'm almost afraid to ask how bad is doggy fish breath???

Your post sure gave me a chuckle!! :)

Piper's mission in life is to kill any and all wildlife......sigh.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

euuuuuuuu, good catch Packy! I think I'll stick to Ellie catching popcorn....lot better smellin!!!!LOL

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

I see that you are in Missouri so fish is just fine for dogs there. In Oregon my dad was fishing and shook a sculpin off his hook near the shore. One of his cairns nabbed it and ate it which he thought was pretty fast work but didn't worry since we know to keep them away from salmon and trout but didn't know the little sculpin could make him sick. It did though, poor dog had such a high fever he lost all his hair. It was a close call but he recovered. Turns out many fresh water fish in B.C., OR, WA and CA have the parasite carrying Neorickettsia, not just salmon and trout. I wanted to let the Northwesterners know that and thought of it when you posted the fish caper.

Good heavens, I actually didn't catch the poor little fishy in the photo the first time I looked. :sick: -- Well that was my first reaction, but it looks as if you have a first-rate little hunter-gatherer there. That is an amazing pic.

pam

Nice job Packy!!!!! That is just the funniest picture! He looks SO proud!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

I made Packy stay outside the house while I ran in to get the camera. He's such a good boy that he did -- he just stayed right where I put him and kept the fish in his mouth. The whole thing was pretty funny. We'll work on getting some shots of him fishing tomorrow, but since it's supposed to rain, we might have to wait until Thursday. He's best at catching fish from a float near the water; he sits there and waits for the fish to come up to the surface looking for bread or whatever we throw in. Packy's getting pretty good at timing when they'll be at the surface, then sticks his face down in the water and SNAP! he catches them in his mouth. DH calls him the Jaws of Death. He's really fast! He can catch them while swimming, but that's a lot harder because he doesn't have the right angle. We're working on getting it on video, too!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

sheila and Misty
How is the world is he catching them? As someone who fishes I'm just curious to know what technique he is using

I'd say Tongue-bait! did you ever notice how long they are? Its almost as long as a slice of bacon! They crack me up. :P here fishy fishy....

Archived