CairnTalk

Excitement Pee

jcavuto

Hi! I'm new to the group, so before I ask my questions, I'd like to say Hello to everyone and look forward to learning about everyone's babies. I have my first Cairn Terrier and am absolutely in love. :wub:

I am having a few issues, that I would love to know if anyone else is having this problem...

My Cairn Terrier is a little girl, 14 weeks old named Abbie. She has a little problem when she gets excited, she drops and pees wherever she is at the time.

I don't know what to do... I really don't think she can help it.

I also am having a hard time housetraining her in general. She even pees in her crate, which I at first, had a crate that was way too big because I was told by the kennel to give her lots of space... well that was a $70+ error. Then I got a much smaller crate, which was still too big, but she will grow into so I am not upset about that. Now, she is in a very small carrier that is just the right size, however the first day she still pee'ed in it. I have my Dad going over and letting her out, so I am not sure why she won't hold it. Although, yesterday afternoon (day 2 of small crate) her crate was dry which made me very happy.

Anyway, if anyone has any excitement pee/housetraining advice I'd love to hear it. :)

Thank you for your time.

Congratulations on your new puppy. As she gets older she will learn ways to show you respect and enthusiasm by other means than wetting. Some thoughts in a thread from just a couple of days ago: http://www.cairnterrier.org/forum/index.ph...findpost&p=2473

A nice short article on submissive urination: http://www.perfectpaws.com/subr.html

Submissive urination is the ultimate show of respect and deference for higher rank. It occurs frequently with young puppies who have not yet learned and perfected other social skills and means of showing respect.

If you browse back through the forum you will see lots and lots of topics about housebreaking (and indeed, submissive urination). To browse through older topics, click on the "next" link under the listing of topics...only the most recent topics are listed on the first page. The search feature can also help locate specific words.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank You... I'll check out previous posts.

It is funny that you say that their peeing is a sign of respect, because she doesn't do it to me, she does it to my husband. I keep trying to tell him it is only out of love that she does it, but of course, he just gets upset (although he does not yell at the dog... I made sure of that! She can't help it... and she is my baby, so he know's he'd get kicked to the couch... heehee!)

Thanks again. :)

Sometimes puppies will find men a little intimidating with their (usually) deeper voices and (often) looming over them. She will eventually get over it. Someday, when she reaches adolescence, you will wonder, "Say, whatever happened to all the respect YOU LITTLE BRAT!" :mad: Then it's off to military academy, I mean, obedience school.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I am already scheduled for Puppy training. We start next Wednesday.

I have a Pug/Terrier mix (it is an interesting combo... pug body on terrier legs... some say she is not very cute, but I love her...) and she was pretty easy to train, this cairn however is not so easy. She definitely has a lot of character, which is what I love the most about her. But, she definitely needs some training. :)

I don't know if it is a man thing with my husband or not.. it is actually cute, she piddles then plops on her back for a belly rub whenever he walks into the room.

I'm sure she'll catch on to potty training eventually.

Hi,

I was reading what you was saying about the men and puppies thing and my little Cairn Terrier always rolls on her back when i walk in from work. She walks right to my feet then drops and rolls onto them for a belly rub. It is really cute. Though i should mention she did grow out of the peeing stage which yes she did used to do to. :)

Now I am wondering.......Because poor little Abe pee's just about any time that someone visits the house, even after all of the family memebers.....and he gets so excited and wound up with happiness to see them he is somewhat ovehwhelming to children and non doggie people.

hmm...... :confused:

SignaturePics.jpg

Archived