CairnTalk

Big brother (cairn) , new baby(cairn) issues

elka2

So many of you have multiple cairns, I thought you could reassure me, things will be OK soon.

I have brought a new baby cairn, Kirby, into the family. He has been here for about one week. His big brother cairn, Riley, is 18 months old. Riley is very interested in the puppy and wants him to play, but the puppy is so busy exploring new things that he is not that interested in Riley's play advances. Riley seems frustrated and confused that the puppy will not play. He seems to be sulking a lot. Riley is also less interested in hugs and loveys from me, even when the puppy is not around. What kind of adjustment issues did you have when bringing new little ones into the family. Any tips or sugguestions on making the transition easier for Riley.

It just takes a little time. Its a new world for Kirby. :D

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

I agree. If they aren't fighting, it's good! :) Give them some time and they will click. The puppy is still figuring out where he is. You can find some great info on this topic if you "search" this forum too! BUT, just make sure you give #1 doggie the same amount of attention he had and always first before puppy! If the only problem you are having is the puppy ignoring the older dog, count yourself lucky!!! lol Congrats on your new one :)

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Elka,

I agree with Amber, be sure Riley is first. One other thing I found, puppies make lots of mistakes learing the rules and admit it, we all "speak loudly" and say "no" alot to the puppy, the only way to get their attention when they are doing wrong, like running around with your shoe. Riley may be sensing that "oh my mom is mad!!" and getting depressed. It happened with Spring when Shiner came to us. Spring was very upset. I have said "Spring good" (followed by a treat) so many times that now when I say it, her tail comes up, wags and she's her usual happy self (even without the treat).

Linda

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

When we got Adrian we still kept Rocky first. I hook him first when going out his dish is set down first. They are get friends. The puppy will start playing just discovering its new home.

Archived