CairnTalk

We've been camping...

OzGirl

We have been camping for a few days. It was the first time we have taken the dogs to a camping ground and I was a bit worried that we would be evicted on the first night because of them barking - but they were really good and only barked a bit.

They were really popular with all the little kids at the camp ground, we had visitors every morning while we ate breakfast, one little girl who asked lots of questions took it upon herself to very knowledgeably inform all her friends about my dogs habits, eg. "Susie eats anything, even bugs!" It got a bit tiring cos whenever we were at our tent someone usually came to talk to the girls, who by the way were very good with all the attention. On the second morning we were still in bed and I heard a little voice nearby say "Oh they are still not up." My daughter told me I had better not leave them alone because she heard some of them saying they were going to steal them and take them home. :D (I'm not sure how they planned to hide them from their parents.)

We had a really enjoyable time and were able to take them everywhere which was a pleasant change. It's usually hard even finding areas of bush/forest that dogs are allowed in. They went swimming in the river with the kids, had a train ride, did lots of bush walking and even got to go out to lunch at a winery with us.

I wasn't sure how they would go for four days of being continually on their leash but it wasn't a problem. They were very tired by the time we got home and haven't done much for two days :P I guess it is posible to wear a cairn out after all :D

The girls decided this little plant near our tent was an ideal bed and frequently settled here to rest.

post-1239-1176822086_thumb.jpg

Nothing beats rolling in the dirt after a swim.

post-1239-1176821872_thumb.jpg

Susie found a big rock that seemed like fun to carry and play with.post-1239-1176822259_thumb.jpgpost-1239-1176821909_thumb.jpg

We took the opportunity to practice "come" at a big oval and give them a chance to run at full speed.

post-1239-1176821926_thumb.jpg

They made a friend while we sat on the verandah at the pub.

post-1239-1176823165_thumb.jpg

ctdogs.jpg

Some more pics...

Exploring the bush.

post-1239-1176823840_thumb.jpgpost-1239-1176823859_thumb.jpg

They were worn out on the third night, Susie chose their favourite plant to sleep in while Roxy prefered the comfort of our bed.

post-1239-1176823878_thumb.jpgpost-1239-1176823888_thumb.jpg

ctdogs.jpg

sheila and Misty

wow sounds like they really enjoyed their camping trip! and if they were worn out for two days lets see...bet they are recharged again before you are, were still waiting for our weather to hit anywhere near 55-60-weve had rain snow mix (unusual this time o year) for the last two days would love to stay outside for a change , And a camping trip? never happen around here till mud summer. lucky you. The pictures were great thanks for showing them.They just dont allow dogs at the places people go around here.

We are going to try a camping trip this weekend! Barney was 5 or 6 months old when we camped with him last year. He barked a bit, but was not into the BARKYOURFOOLHEADOFF stage yet. I am a bit worried about how his barking will be. He barks at home every time he hears something outside, so this may be interesting....... :shock:

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Somewhere in the world, a little girl who just returned from a camping trip is begging her parents for a Cairn :D

Great photos. I love the fifth photo of your dogs running in the grass. They both look like Super Dogs!

Ah, what great pics, I'll agree with the full speed ahead, just looks like plain fun ! By the way, they really aren't sleeping, they are "re-charging". :twisted:

I love camping with my Cairns, what great pictures you have taken...makes me want to get the campet out.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Sounds like a ton of fun! It is still too cold here to go camping.......snow flurries currently (sigh) April showers, Eastern Oregon Style........ :confused:

we're heading to Disney's Fort Wilderness in less than 2 weeks, I cant wait!!!! Always something to barktheirfoolheadsoff there!! LOL

Cute Pics.....

A guy from a RV thread on another site told me of a dog park not too far from our FL house, we're going to check it out this time down there....looking forward to it.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

what wonderful pictures!!!!!!!!!! looked like a wonderful adventure you all got to share! i personally love the coming when called picture the best... that full speed and 2 cairn grins are priceless!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

I love the one where Susie is in camoflauge in her nest! Thats great. Add me to the thank you list for sharing those.

Valerie

They look like they had great fun!!! Camping is the best.

Question for you -

We went camping over Easter - however were scared to take Bella as she is not good at coming when called etc etc, so she went into a kennel.......Just wondering - did your girls stay on a lead the whole time you were away, and did you take anything to lock them into at night etc etc?

WE are planning on taking Bella Camping next time, but I just get very scared she may run off and we wont find her again

Question for you -

Raddy,

I don't trust my two to always come back either so yes they spent the four days in their harness attached to their long (5mtr) leads. We did occassionally just leave the leads dragging but usually they were attached to something. I took their crates to lock them in at night (inside the tent) and even though hubby didn't think we needed them I'm glad I did so I could sleep at night knowing they were safe. I found it quite easy and very enjoyable taking them camping, I think its just a case of always being aware of them and what they are doing - just like children :D

ctdogs.jpg

Wonderful pics

Looks like your dogs had a fab time!

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

Archived