CairnTalk

When do they start getting fluffy and changing color?

4*kowbabies

My Daisy is 4 months old in a few days. She has grown quite a bit, but I was wondering when she will get that Cairn fluff, and become darker in color? Will she lose some hair as other stuff grows or does she keep it all?

Also, her mom and dad are black and silver, she is multi colored. She has red, black, silver, brown, etc. in her. I am asuming she will be all black and silver like her parents, right?

Thanks!

Daisy's hair should start to fill out soon. As far as color goes, it's hard to predict what color a pup will be...even from one year to the next! Scout was all black when we got her. At age 1 she was a grey brindle. Now, at 5 years old, she is a red brindle!

Ellie was solid black when we got her at 9 weeks. I don't remember how long it took before she began to be shaggy, but her hair now is a red/black brindle, with a few white hairs thrown in for good measure.

As her hair grows, she will need to be "stripped," that is, removing the dead hair. It comes out quite easily by hand (something I discovered on my own, by accident). If you don't remove it, it will mat rather badly.

Laurie

I have been wondering That same thing. Scruffy is truly a beautiful Cairn (I am NOT biased!) She has that full lush mane, but she seemed to always have it. Sparky, on the other hand, is so sweet, but certainly not the show stopper like Scruff. His fur is not growing in and I do not think it ever will (he is 5 mons) I am sure that if I had dealt with a good breeder, it may be a different story. Both my pups are mill "rescues" . Scruffy's fur has gotten lighter and her fur is like honey. Sparks started very light like Scruffs and they still look like brother and sister, but Sparks is getting redder each week.

I have often suspected that Ellie came from a mill; my daughter bought her at Pocket Pet. She had coccydia (sp?) when we got her, and of course, they told us she is a Scottie/Lhasa mix, and it is quite evident that she is a Cairn, but of course, we had no way to know that when she was such a small puppy.

Anyway, she's healthy now, and bratty too, but that's beside the point!

Laurie

Thank you. Daisy is from her mothers first litter. So, she is Cairn both ways as far as I could tell, lol. She was the runt though, so maybe she will truely be unique,lol.. She is so silly and just fits right in with us to the "T" I am a Cairn owner/lover all the way after having her! I wouldn't want any other dog but her (a Cairn) ever again, for sure!

:P Just what is it about these little dogs that makes them so lovable? I know I adore my Ellie, and Black Lady, my Scotty, of course. But I could raise more Cairns.

Laurie

My dog was cream/brown with dark tips when we got him as a puppy- now he's a very rich red color with cream on his stomach and rear. It seems he becomes a darker red each time I strip him (he's 2 and a half now). I wouldn't be surprised if he's black in 10 years :)

Barney was a light brown with black points when we got him at nine weeks. He now has a lot of red and blonde in his fur, but has maintained the black points. I guess that's good, because black points are highly desirable in Cairns. It doesn't really matter though, because he will never be a show dog.

Barney's hair is still short at 13 months, but that is because I am faithful to strip him of the dead hair. When Cairns have long hair, that is called a "blown coat", which is not desirable if you plan on showing them. I personally think the long hair on a Cairn is attractive, but I guess it isn't the way Cairns are "supposed" to look. Their hair should be about 2-3 inches long and very scruffy and wirey. Clipping them will soften the coat and will make it lose it's Cairn-like quality, not to mention the waterproof nature of the coat. Barney's fur is extremely coarse and thick, which is the ideal. This only happens when you strip them of the dead hair.

It always amazes me how Cairns change color so many times as they grow!! Just another cool aspect of the breed to love!

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

I saw Ellie today in clear daylight and was surprised to see how much red has appeared in her coat. It seems that her coat is ever changing!

Archived