CairnTalk

Compatability...

sherri

hi...

i am seeking a cairn terrier pup. never realy been around cairns (except in pet stores, etc), but have always owned mainly terriers. have read up and researched extensively and feel like a cairn would fit into my household just fine...i currently own a mini schnauz and (by the looks of her) a cairn/small terrier mix. just wondering if any current cairn owners have any advice or input as to how well i would be prepared to take on a cairn, given the pets i have now. just want to make sure that a cairn is going to be the right choice!

thanks all, sherri

My married daughter has a female schnauzer (excuse the possible misspell) and I love the dog but she is extremely dominant even outside her environment. I had to "babysit" for a weekend in my home and this dog took over my household....literally made Winnie (this was before we got our puppy) spend a good portion of her day hiding under the dining room table. I don't know how yours would react to a puppy.

From what I've experienced from my dogs, Cairns are fun, active, intelligent but have minds of their own and can be a bit defiant. I love that characteristic because it keeps things from getting boring. I can say "No" to Madison, my 6 month old, when she jumps on the furniture and she will get down. But let me turn my back for a minute, there she is sitting on the couch with the cutest look on her face. Constant but firm discipline but try to hide the smile you get on your face at their antics! .:whistle:

Our Carin got along wonderful with our other dogs when he came into our home 1 1/2 years ago..we had a very old springer spaniel and a mix breed shepard. The springer has since passed away and since the other dog prefered to stay outside and Rebel stays inside we decided to get another dog. Of course I wanted another Cairn but my husband wanted a Pug. I did my research on breed and breeders in my area and we got a Pug and the two get along wonderful.

The breeder that I got the Pug from at first didn't want to sell me the Pug because I had a Cairn. She actually called a vet who's mother is a Cairn breeder and asked if she thought they would get along. She wanted to know if Cairns were mean...

What I can tell you is that the Carin was much easier to housetrain! We used a crate on both. Our Cairn "Rebel" is the giving dog in the house. He is very sweet and puts up with alot :devil: from his little brother.

We are know at the vets as the culturally diverse home and they laugh when I bring in the pair. :D I do know that if I ever get another dog it will be a Cairn. To own one is to love the breed.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

hi there... my cousins have both a mini snauzer [and i know that is mispelled] and a cairn. Both females about the same age 3 years old... the dogs get along great. They don't have children so devote all the parent time to the dogs, but so far our cairn doesn't have any problem with our two kittens until they try to eat her food then she lets the boys know who is boss...

Good luck, you will love your cairn

Glenda

• 1 month later...

Is anybody ever ready for a Cairn Terrier. I did a lot of research into dogs before we got Murphy and I'm glad we got HIM. I looked at at lot of dogs at the humane Society but never really wanted a dog until I saw Murphy. He was cute and a lovely little ball of fur. Then he grew up. But let me tell you something, when I feel kind of down and not really paying attention to him he comes up on the couch, lays down and puts his head on my lap. He looks up at me as if to say "Hey big guy whats wrong" Then gets up and gives me a big lick across my face. I've never had a dog with so much compassion and love before. Before you buy a dog, pick it up and put it in your arm on his back. If he squirms, he's not for you, but he doesn't move or cuddles into your elbow take him/her.

Hi! Having always owned golden retrievers, I never entertained the idea of getting a small dog but allergies prompted me to do some research and we came up with acquiring a Cairn. I have to say that these lil guys are amazingly awesome!!! They have so much energy and immeasurable amounts of love to give! I would never own anything BUT a Cairn - - can't say enough good things about them!!

My boss has 2 mini schnauzer and my cairn loves them both. We added a puppy this past year a pug(ugly) and the breeder was afraid that the cairn would not get along. ....Not Rebel my cairn is the sweet one and the pug is the pesty one but he is still a puppy. They do love each other and are best friends but when we are out on walks Rebel gets along much better with other breeds.

We go to my bosses houseboat where they are all off leash inside in a small area and they all get along great! They are all male

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Archived