CairnTalk

Toy Crazy

Brody'sMom

I'm luckier than most Cairn owners in that Brody and Mia do not destroy their toys. They have dozens which they love to play with. The funniest thing is they are fixated on a particular toy for a few days or a week and then suddenly they move on to another toy.

They will only accept a substitute if we take the chosen toy away (which we do when it gets slobbery) and even then the next day Brody will let us know he wants the chosen toy (he remembers where we put it and will sit right there until we give it to him).

Once they are over the fixation, they move on to another toy. Brody is the real mastermind behind toy selection; he can open the toybox and will dig out two or three toys before he finds the one he wants. Sometimes it is one he hasn't seen in months, but suddenly it is the toy of the moment.

What do you think goes through his mind? Is it like when we rediscover an favorite old sweater in the back of the closet?

I don't know what goes through their minds, but the behavior is very familiar. It's always fun to see which toy gets promoted. We rarely throw any out even if they seem to hate it when new. I've seen stuff that is *years* old suddenly become interesting.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

My two love their toys too...especially Finch. Finch loves all of her toys! Scout will only pick out a few. Two are little ducks that make quaking sounds when squeezed. They both got one for Easter last year, but didn't play with them. Now, Scout will fish the ducks out almost every day for me to toss. She was a stuffed toys biggest nightmare, but she hasn't destroyed these!

Finch, of course, loves her frisbees the most, but she will pick out a Dr Noy toy for tossing every once in awhile. Finch even sleeps in her toy tub. Just last night, she was sound asleep in it. I'd love to take a picture, but she comes ALIVE when she hears the camera turn on. <_<

How cute that Finch sleeps in her toy tub. Brody would probably sleep in ours except it has a hinged lid and he cannot open it all the way, just far enough to get his head in there to dig out toys.

T-T has always been protective with her rubber squeeky frogs. We got her stuffed squeeky ring for christmas and it didn't even last a week. She has been known for tearing the heads off stuffed animals. For the first time, she has obsessively taken care of a bean bag borcupine, maybe cause the hair looks like hers. She will play catch with it, take it all around the house and drags it into her bed at night.

A great topic....

When Winnie was younger she adored those vinyl hedgehog toys ($1.29?) She would just lick them to death. Now she's graduated to the fleece eggs that come with the puzzle toys. We must have at least 20 of them. I can tell which are her favorite by the smell :sick:.

Maddy loves anything that makes noise and she can rip out a squeaker in record time. I just bought a bag of 25 replacement squeakers to stick in her Dr. Noy's toys but they don't last.

I think it's funny that our Cairns are so darned spoiled! They all have so many toys...like little kids. And, atleast my two, are very much like a one year old on her birthday. You buy a GREAT toy--think it will be their favorite, and what do they end up playing with?? The box. At my house, Ellie and Gracie have so many toys that sometimes I am overwhelmed with picking them up, but it seems they would much rather play with an empty pop bottle any day! --and boy is the sound of two pop bottles being kicked and pushed around on hardwood floors annoying!!! :)

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

The girls have so many toys they actually have 2 full toy boxes - they must have at least 30 toys between them - we're toy happy.... HA!

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Brady loves to play with empty water bottles. He rips all the paper off and then basically crushes them. I thought it was funny the first time until I realized the water bottle needed to be empty!

Greta has her little toy box as does Jake (his is bigger). For the first two months, I kept the toys separate. Now, it's a free for all. Greta likes to chew off the tags of all the toys. Jake likes to just squeak the toys, he doesn't rip them apart. Greta pretty much follows suit, however I did notice that Jake's black kitty (Old Navy Halloween toy) is missing an ear.

Right now Greta's favorite toy is a green and red rubber fish. I found it at Target for a buck. It started off as Jake's but now it's Greta's. She loves to run around the house and squeak it. And it has a loud squeaker.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

sheila and Misty

toys! I think we really like buying them as much as they like getting them. Let me and my husband loose in a pet shop and everyone will know we are there we must squeek them all. Misty knows which one she wants too. If you say go get squeeky thats the loudest most obnoxious one, or her big blue ball she knows one of those words and big doggie or little doggie are about her favorites and no she doesnt destroy much either...yet.

if shes in the mood she actually will put her toys away (by that I mean pile them up in one place...good enough for me.. lucky me.but try to give her a ball when she wants to squeek..not going to happen. and yes Ive seen her dig down deep for one of her baby toys...reminiscing I suppose.

This week's favourite toy was a half ripe lemon that fell off my tree. They played with it for days till it got all squishy. It was funny watching them having so much fun with it. I just got annoyed the morning they decided to take it to bed to play, my bed :evil: I quickly sent them and their squishy friend outside.

ctdogs.jpg

We have two toy boxes, one in the kitchen and one in the living room. Just last weekend I moved some of the "living room" toys to the kitchen and Grace had a fit. She gave me one of those "who do you think you are??" looks and one by one she moved all the toys back to living room where they belonged!

Our toy of the moment is the laser light. The girls chase the light all around the house. They are like little "crack addicts" I can't put the light down without them getting in my face and staring at me until I give in and we start all over again. We have had alot of snow and cold weather in PA so this is a good way to tire them out when they can't go outside...just don't let them get addicted like my girls!

Lola has 3 or 4 favorites and she plays with them pretty much all of the time. We keep them in a basket and she picks the one she wants to play with. Her favorite by far is a purple platypus, which is sort of a beanie baby. She carries it everywhere but does not destroy it and has learned how to throw it at me (bites a leg and slings it with her head) in a not-so-subtle way of telling me that she's ready for me to throw it for her. Otherwise, she drops it at my feet and growls until I pick it up and play fetch with her. A very persistent girl.

Archived