post-291-1173743749_thumb.jpg

She really works hard

post-291-1173743804_thumb.jpg

Notice who is in front.....Sugar is such a spoiled girl

post-291-1173743794_thumb.jpg

Rebel usually wins the chase but Harley is getting there

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

How these pups don't have back problems from the way they twist and turn to catch things mid air just amazes me! If that was us, we'd all be in traction!!!!!

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

You make a good point, Darcy's Folks. I think some dogs *do* experience problems - either acute problems or possibly predisposing them to arthritis later. I believe a lot of two-legged standing and bouncing on back legs and twisting jumping can exacerbate it. That said, the same is true of us as humans, and I think a certain amount of youthful exuberance is worth the price. Which is better - to be a little worn out in our old age from our athletic experiences as youths, or to have never experienced the joy of exuberant activity at all? I limp and grumble with no regrets.

And hey, you kids! Get off my lawn! :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Your absolute right about the twisting, I am careful to throw ones to Rebel that he easily runs and catches in front of him, my problem with Harley is she chases them all. My vet checks spines every year in the wellness check up. Harley is limited on her frisbee time because she is a puppy and still growning. Rebel on the other hand gets as long as he brings us the frisbee, when he is tired he collects the frisbee around him and lays down, game over.

I have talked with my vet alot about it and she says if they want exercise give it to them just don't overdo it. The problem with Harley is she is a climber and a jumper. Sugar only wants the ones that are thrown exactly to her and she will catch it run around very proud and then play tug with the Pug. Rebel likes the one he chases and are in front of him. He even tips them with his nose to get a better catch and Harley well she is wild and we are trying to teach them now that the name has to be called before you catch. Rebel and Sugar understand the concept but Harley thinks all throws are for her. I keep her in an xpen after about 10 minutes then throw to the others and when they are finished I get her out and throw to her..until I am tired because Harley is non stop.

Rebel is 4 and still loves his throws and he has great strength in his shoulders and back legs. Last month my vet talked about what good shape he was in that he had lots of very well developed muscles and I know to keep it that way we will have to stay active. Rebel loves the agility but he does not care for the A frame so I have never been able to take him out, Harley I think will do it all and when she turns one we will start working on it. My Cairns are very different, Sugar likes hunting and just running in the yard. Rebel likes more organized games and Harley does it all.

But you are right to be careful because it can cause injury. I worry more about Sugar's hunting Rabbits, mice and other creatures she will go any where, down any hole or threw any brush.

Liz

Those are great Liz! Awsome action shots, I wish my camera would do those better as I am not sure if you can get pictures of Cairns that aren't action shots :thumbsup:

Those are great pictures. Looks like everyone is having fun! I would love to see Rebel in his "game over" stance, but I can picture it in my head because Petey does the same thing when he is finished playing with a toy (and he doesn't want Belle to get it). He will lay down with the prize toy under his chin.

I can see the pictures this morning.....wonderful! Boy, does that frisbee look familiar?

finch5jk4.jpg

Finch always brings the frisbee to my feet, so I can't get any action shots. Your pictures are great!

Finch and Rebel are connected...Frisbee hounds. I was lucky my son and husband love to get out and play so I take the pictures.

Rebel only likes the soft frisbee's and he carries it around like a blanket. I think it brings him great joy!

Liz

Archived