CairnTalk

HELP!

Deb

Gooner is 11 wks old. We got him 3 wks ago the breeder had already stripped his back, I tried to do some myself bare handed and failed, but this am was determined and with a rubber glove I brought home from work was able to to his right side no problem while giving him treats the rubber glove was great. The problem is he won't let me do the other side he keeps yelping. He didn't seem to feel the other side at all. Any suggestions?

If the hair doesn't come out easy, then it isn't ready yet. Try again in another week.

edited to add: Also Make sure you are pulling the hair with the grain, not against... when you pull against it can hurt.....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

He is probably too young to start really stripping him yet because the hair is not dead. The test is if you pull on it and it does not easily come out, dead hair comes out with very little pulling.

sheila and Misty

I doubt a true serious groomer would approve of what I'm about to say but...I.have found that the little cheap flea combs remove the dead hair very easily -I've been using that on Misty with no pproblem-sure it smooths out the coat too but one run and shake and shes her scraggly old self again! I just do it gently so I wont break of her hair. Works for us and if it becomes flea season the comb will take care of them as well.

I doubt a true serious groomer would approve of what I'm about to say but...I.have found that the little cheap flea combs remove the dead hair very easily -

OMG :lol: I do that too! helps pull out undercoat too!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Not only a flea comb, but a comb designed for double-coated terriers will accomplish the same thing. I got mine at Petco. Just be very gentle with it.

Hand stripping is a must if you want to show the dog; otherwise, I see no reason not to use a good comb.

Laurie, Ellie's Mom

Archived