CairnTalk

In the doghouse

jodi0553

Well, I just set up camp in the guest bedroom. Why? because my lovely housebroken 14 month old cairn got on my bed and peed. Sigh....just when you think you are winning. He's been allowed in the bedrooms lately; usually his only problem is stealing from laundry hampers and open dresser drawers. He's not allowed on the bed AT ALL, since I am a bit allergic to him. While I was in the adjoined bathroom brushing my teeth , he apparently jumped up on the bed while I wasn't looking (I can see the bed in the mirror) and relieved himself. Right where I sleep. I was about to hop in bed, and oh was there a puddle. I just don't understand. He seems to get not to go on the floor, but this is about the 5th time he has gone on a piece of furniture since he was "housebroken". Its like he thinks "okay, can't go on the floor, but I gotta go somewhere, so it must be ok to go anywhere but the floor." The funniest thus far was a couple months ago (the last accident) when he pooped in a coworker's office - positioned himself squarely over his umbrella lying on the floor to go rather than muss the carpet.

This time I didn't catch him in the act, so there was no way to discipline. Just carried him down to the couch (HIS bed, never has had an accident there) and gated him up.

All I can say is that Helliot will be missed, as when Currey does stuff like this, I recall my personal favorite Helliot story of peeing on someone's head as they were lying down so that I can just remember it could be way grosser..... :whistle:

My last dog did this too when she was a juvenile just on one occasion.

I think she did it because being our bed it had our scent on it so she had to add hers. Of course I shouted "no" and she never did it again as she realized this didn't meet with our "approval". I doubt that your dog will do it again. Hope this helps :)

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

Well I am so glad to hear that Ellie isnt the only one that has done this. She just did it last week and it totally shocked me, she sleeps on the bed!!! She has to have the same routine in the morning, and that morning hubby and I started chatting and Ellie was left on the bed......big mistake! I have no clue why she did that. We've had two incidences in a hotel......We had two beds, i was in one with the dogs, john in the other. One night john got up, ellie woke up.....hopped over to his bed and peed. The other time, the fire alarm went off, scared the crap out of all of us.....Ellie got up, hopped over to john's bed....peed. Honestly, I think she's trying to claim that bed!!!!! She will not get that opportunity on my bed again.

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

I don't write very often - usually just read. But, I couldn't resist adding my story about peeing in the bed. One night I woke up around 2 a.m. and realized our Tink, who sleeps with us - under the cover, had apparently been rolling in leaves before bed. The bed was covered with broken leaves that were making the bed very uncomfortable. So, I got my husband up and starting changing the sheets. Well, I just got the clean sheets on and Tink hopped up there and peed on the bed. So, here I am at 2 a.m. changing the sheets twice because of her. She has never done that again, and is now 2 years old.

LindaB

Marmielin

Ellie did this once, but it was definitely my fault. We usually don't let her have any water after her last trip outside of the night, but she had been running like a crazy woman and I thought she needed a sip. Well, from the puddle left on the bed it was more than a sip. . .crazy puppy! We thought she had done it a second time, but she was actually licking the sheets. lol. Ellie is so strange sometimes.

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Oh my God.... and here i am thinking that Napoleon is the only one that has done this!!! it must be another cairn trait, because our other dog, a mutt has never done this!! Napoleon has done it twice and since we have not seen when he does it( I have steps going up our bed) we have not disciplined him!!!

I wonder what triggeres it!!

he is such a cutie I just have to laugh!!

Count us in on the "pee on bed" group!

Scout did this when she was a little over a year too. I have no idea why she did this, but it only happened once.

Cairns...they always keep you guessing!

I think they're claiming the bed!!!! Ellie hopped in the blowup bed in the motor home and peed one night....grrrrrrr!!!! Dori has never done it, ellie is the problem pee-er!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Haha...Gracie's first time visiting my brother...just jumped up on her bed and peed! lol

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Wow, I can't believe how many of these little dogs pee on beds. It's insane! Thank you all for sharing your stories and once again making me feel like my experiences are somewhat normal. My mom, a Westie devotee, was appalled and said a Westie would NEVER do such a thing and is still trying to figure out how my little Westie "cousin" is so different!

I now think Currey might be a little under the weather and that could have caused him to use the bed as a potty. He was up from about 4 - 6 am this morning crying and asking to go out. He usually has to be dragged out of bed at 7 for a morning potty and goes back to sleep till 10 or so. Fortuneatly, I already have a vet app for annual shots on Tuesday, so if he still seems out of sorts then, we'll be able to check with a pro.

Saidi is guilty of this in her younger years. Both times was on my DW's side. The last time was right after my DW had scolded Saidi for something. We believed it was a dominance thing since DW is the pack leader. It's been over a year since we've had an issue, and everybody (both Saidi and I) knows their place :lol:

My Shadow who has long since passed on to Rainbow Bridge peed on the bed just once

when he was a puppy (1987). It was the middle of the night and just like us uprights,

he was half asleep. Sometimes, like in this case, I think they just plain forget

this is the wrong place and time.

In any event, once he realized what had happened and that he had

goofed big time (he did hear yours truly inquire, "SHADOW, WHAT ARE

YOU DOING?!!!") he went and hid behind the massive walls of pillows

I keep at the head of the bed. He didn't come out, and then reluctantly,

until I got to that part of changing the sheets.

I loved Shadow...he was and remains one of my beautiful non-human children.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Archived