CairnTalk

Puppy Coat/adult Coat

Guest G-man

I have an 8 month old male Cairn. He is a great pup, and my first experiance with the breed. He has developed a lions mane in the last month. It this the first step in his adult coat, and at what age will it be complete.

I was hoping you would get a reply to your question......our "terror" (ha ha) is 71/2 months old. He is experiencing some shedding right now, is that normal?

Thanks in advance

SignaturePics.jpg

Typically a puppy coat will have been stripped by the breeder somewhere between 8 and 16 weeks. It is likely to need attention again at 8-10 months. A Cairn's coat requires stripping (pulling of the dead coat) to maintain both coat and skin health. Strongly recommended is the Cairn Terrier Club of America booklet: Cairn Terrier Grooming: Start to Finish. Here is another helpful article: grooming your Cairn.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Here is another link from the Col. Potter Rescue network. It is recommended that you strip your cairn according to this diagram 2 times per year. http://www.cairnrescue.com/general/groom.htm#strip

The area that I always have trouble with are the points (muzzle and tail specifically). ;) My Cairns ears look great, really easy to do and the rest, well, I just follow the diagram. I am going to start the process over when Spring arrives! Although, it seems like I am always pulling a little here or there, whatever seems a little out of place or shaggy. After I stripped them both the first time, they were about 6 months old, (I waited only because I wasn't sure what to do), the coat that comes back in is beautiful. I haven't noticed a change in their coloring (one is red w/ dark points and the other is silver/brindle, w/ dark points), but some Cairns do have coats that come back in w/ a slight variation from the previous coloring.

I have 2 Cairn Terrier boys, brothers in fact, born March 1, 2003, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (aka, Butch and Sundance!). :halo: They are absolutely and completely wonderful and I can't imagine not having them in my life! :D

Archived