CairnTalk

I'm New Here, Too

kayharley

I have 2 female Cairns, 10 year old Winnie and 5 month old Madison. Also have 5 gerbils and a hamster. Great dogs, wonderful breed and I adore my girls.

We live in CT and the temp's been hovering in the single digets lately. Makes for uncomfortable housebreaking, however.

Our yard is fenced in which makes it nice for the dogs to run freely. Also lots of squirrels, chipmunks and other critters that hang out in our stone wall although I can do without the garter snakes. I can't wait till the warm weather to see how Madison bonds with all my other "pets" and what she does to my plants in the gardens. Winnie is older and more laid back...the only time she chases the intruders is when they come up on the deck. And she will not step foot in my perennial beds even if I throw a ball in there. Here's hoping the puppy follows in her footsteps.

Hello to you from freezing Connecticut. We have a 7 month old Cairn named Drew who has just recovered from a broken leg. We just took him to the groomer for nail clipping (it scares us) and the groomers suggested obedience training! Well, I never! He is a wild guy and I called the ones they suggested right away to sign up for classes. Drew likes to go for long walks, even in this really cold weather. No fun for us. Where do you live in CT? We don't know any other Cairn families and would like to share experiences with others who have had long associations with these special dogs. How I wish Drew were a little laid back! He is only quiet when really, really tired.

How I wish Drew were a little laid back! He is only quiet when really, really tired.

I promise, most of them do get calmer when they get older. Our nine-year-old still plays like a puppy when invited to, but she's turned into a couch potato. When she was young we never thought we'd see the day she'd stop testing us. Try to hang on till they're three or four :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

You always give such good advice, I sometimes think of you as the voice of reason in a world gone Cairn-mad. I have no choice other than hang in there because our Drew is here to stay. I did have thoughts of sticking postage on his butt and sending him back to the breeder in Arkansas, but then life would be so less interesting. And as the old Chinese curse goes: May you have an interesting life. I guess I, and all of you as well, have gotten the curse. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hi:

Welcome to your 2 girls from my 2 boys (8 yrs and 9yrs). The snow is getting much taller than the dogs up here in the snowbelt of Ontario. We snowblow a path in the backyard so the boys can get around for necessary bodily functions. It has been so cold here they just walk up one side of the block and back the other and are usually holding up a paw (and we pick them up) by then.

Anyway cairns are the best and only improve with age.

I live in Litchfield County...the part of the state that usually gets the most snow! My dogs do the same thing with their paws when its frigid out. It's easy to carry the pup but my 10 year old has a little weight problem (can't resist those sad eyes when we're eating dinner) We'll be using more self-control with Madison.

Archived