CairnTalk

male or female cairn? to put with a bassethound?

ynendine

I have a very sweet 3 yr. old bassetthound and have my mind set on purchasing a cairin through a very reputable breeder. My bassett loves all dogs..I have had many around. He does seem to let them know in a slight sense that this is his house. But tolorates and seems to enjoy. Cannot make upmy mind on a maleor female cain tomatch him. He is nuetured and I plan to spade or nueter the new addition. Should I just be looking for a docile puppy to match and NOT the sex??? Please aswer asap aas I am picking my puppy very soon...

In cairns, the tendancy is for the males to sweeter and more affectionate, the females somewhat more aloof. Again that is a tendancy not an absolute for all cairns. If given the choice shy away from the dominate puppy. The cairn will have a lot more energy then your Basset, but should get along just fine.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

The general opinion allways seems to be that there is less friction between opposite sexes, but this is not allways the case. A lot has to do with individual personalities. If your Bassett doesn't seem to have a preference, I would be more concerned with the disposition of the puppy rather than the sex. You mentioned that he gets along well with other dogs, have any of them been young puppies ? Generally older females seem to be more tolerant of a puppy than males, but even they can resent being jumped on and chewed on by a puppy. Please keep in mind that it is his home and any addition to it should be a good experience for him as well as you. Be prepared that he may need to put the new addition "in it's place" a few times and that they should only have suppervised time together in the beginning. I wish you the best of luck with your new puppy !

We got Duncan in October - right before his first birthday. He was somewhat aggressive toward our other dogs (which is not unusual for a terrier) until we had him neutered. A month after the neutering, he was a different dog. He shows almost no aggression - occasional food aggression. He is a wonderful dog and I would highly recommend neutering or spaying. We currently have 3 males and 3 females.

We came very close to getting a Bassett hound several years ago....my husband owns an appliance store and sells Maytag and anyone who watches commercials knows that little Bassett named Newton was a sidekick. But somehow I managed to talk hubby into a livelier breed...the Cairn.

But...the Bassett is so mellow and laidback that I honestly couldn't see any friction pairing him with anything...even the notorious Cairn terrier puppy...just my $.02

Ha ha...I'm originally from Newton, Iowa...home of Maytag...well, former home since they just sold...:)

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

We have an eight year old male bassett, Jake. My two cairn girls, love him to pieces, but he usually just ignores them. They are way to energetic for him to deal with. But he isn't mean to them in any way. I do believe there probably would be issues if there was food or bones around, he was food aggressive towards my mother's dog. I do feed them all seperately and watch them close while they are all together with chewies.

kasey, izzy and ollie

My two cairns play with a Basset hound they adore her, I have a male and a bitch and they are both very friendly to all breeds,the basset does get worn out by them.

sandy

rufusmum

Archived