CairnTalk

Mars Coat King

kjwarnold

I have the #16 Mars Coat King and it does a great job on Packy, except for his head and legs. Would a MCK Mini work better on these areas? Packy will sit still for me when I do his ears (we sit on the porch swing, him on my lap and he watches the ducks while I pluck!) but I can't seem to do a very good job by hand on his legs or head.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I am not sure. I have been thinking about ordering the 16 and giving it a try for the first time. I was worried about some posts here suggesting it cuts the coat so I talked to my dog groomer. She says if people come thru their pup's hair first before using it it should not cut the hair hence making it softer. The reason it may cut is because hair there is resistance from the hair being tangled. when they are using the Mars.

I am going to see my groomer this weekend at a dog show in St. Paul Minnesota. I can ask her about the mini and if she uses it. She is going to show me how to strip using the Mars. She is very particular so I know I probably won't be as good as her but I am going to order one next week after I see what sizes she has.

I'll let you know what I find out about the mini!

Jetersmom(and Bernie's)

I have the mini MCK that seems to work pretty good on the sides of Darcy's face. She still digs in and refuses to let me work on her muzzle!!! She growls this real ferocious growl and shows her teeth when I start on her chin or mustache. Rather than battle with her, I just stop there. She would not bite but I don't want to even give her the opportunity.

She growls this real ferocious growl and shows her teeth when I start on her chin or mustache.

:lol: Elliott does the same thing. He makes this deep throaty sound that's between a growl and a warning when I get near his "private" area. It's almost impossible to groom his little butt hairs but I do....very quickly.

I have the mini 14, and I find it's a little too small. I usually end up using my larger one and going very gently on her face.

Archived