CairnTalk

Mett & Bratt's Holiday travels

Tracy A.

We spend Xmas almost every year at my Parents house in the northern subs of Chicago. We set out on Xmas Eve, It's about a 6 hour drive for us, but taking rest stop breaks for the dogs really does seem to help the drive and break it up.

On the drive up, everytime we pulled into a rest stop and the boys saw another dog while in the car, they went all out "Crack Dog" x2. I could not calm them down, the only solution was to get them out of the car, or to get out of the rest stop parking lot. I am really surprised that I can still hear out of both ears!

At one of the rest stops a family brought out a what I first thought was a Westie, however in better light it was a poor red Cairn with a very bad Westie grooming job. I saw the wife jab her husband and point to the boys- I can just imagine what she said "See I told you they groomed our dog wrong".

We finally arrive at my parents home after 4 "Crack Dog" at the Toll Both worker sessions.

Mett decides to play 'houdini' in my parents back yard, we go into 'missing dog mode' only to find him in the yard but in a seperate fenced off area where ladders/wood are kept. He got himself in there, but could not get himself out. So no lost dog, but gained grey hairs.

At dinner, my Dad decides to Humiliate my husband at the dinner table with guests/family looking on- We ended up packing up and leaving in the middle of the night. So about 5 hours after arriving we are back on the road again. We ended up getting home at 7am Xmas morning. Mett & Bratt spent most of yesterday sleeping, I didn't realize that eventhough they slept in the car most of the time, that the breaks in sleeping for Potty Breaks would wear them out- Poor little guys.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

It sounds like a stressful trip for you and Bratt and Mett...I am sorry things didn't work out so well and your husband was humiliated...

Best that you are home where you and the gremlins are happy, comfy and safe.

so sorry you had a stressful time this christmas :( This time of year can really bring out the best and worst in some people!

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

I'm so sorry your plans didn't work out. I have family members who don't realize that words can hurt. Sometimes there's just no place like home for the holidays.

After my horrible Thanksgiving, I did not have any high expectations for Christmas to be "merry" and it wasn't here either. We spent Saturday in the emergency room...hubby had a bad bladder infection that had spread and was in constant pain, my granddaughter had the stomach flu so our plans kind of flew south but on a bright note....all three of my Cairns behaved like normal dogs, even Elliott. I felt blessed.

Now on to New Years :whistle:

oh goodness, I'm so sorry.....dang it why cant people just keep their comments to themselves....sorry again to your hubby. Did the relatives know you left or was it a suprise in the morning for them?

Gosh i really feel blessed that ours went so nicely!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

I'm so sorry your trip had to end like that. I'm here in Illinois, you could of stopped here and the boys could of played with Kramer. Some parents just have to shoot there mouths off and ruin the Holidays. Been there before so dont feel bad.

Glad the boys are resting now and hope your husbands feelings arent to badly hurt. Better days a head

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I'm sorry to hear your trip was less than desirable!!!!

I do have to tell you though your "crack dog" comments and the mention of the other Cairn owner with a bad haircut had me in stitches!

Hope you can look back at it now and laugh... a little?

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

Sandy- Is your husband doing better? Bladder infections can really be painful. Start him on Cranberry juice everyday for awhile, it will help flush everything out.

Thank you for the kind words everyone. We relaxed Monday and Tuesday at home, Mett & Bratt seemed to perk back up yesterday.

Other than 1 phone call to see if we arrived home, I haven't hear a peep from the family. I won't put my husband through another family visit, it isn't fair to him.

On the upside, I don't think the boys will be begging for a car ride anytime soon..... I think 12 hours in the car pretty much burned them out.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I am sorry to hear that you had such a hard time during Christmas. Sometimes parents make things a lot harder than they have to be. I am lucky to have the best parents anyone could ask for but my husband is not so lucky. He often gets his feelings hurt by his parents so I understand your pain.

On a brighter note, it sounds like the pups had a blast! I hope the holidays got better once you got back into the comfort of your own home!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Siiigh...I know how you feel.... My father would say things to my husband, too, and it's a big relief that they don't live in the US. My father-in-law is not an angel either. He's not in speaking terms with any of his children and in my opinion, I would prefer that it stay this way. But hang in there, you've got your hands full with those two "crack dogs" !!! :lol:

This is story is a prime example of why I say we need more dogs in this world and less people. I'm so very sorry that your husband was hurt in this way (and Karyharley, I hope that your hubby is feeling better as well). I will never understand why people feel they are "entitled" to say whatever they want.

Archived