CairnTalk

Looking for my first Cairn Terrier.

Jarret926

In search of a reputable breeder in the South Western area. I am located in Arizona, but would gladly travel to pickup the puppy. Even though I have checked my state for the breeders nearby, I've contacted them all and found very little help... Any information would be helpful please PM me, thanks.

Hi Jarret,

I know the quest for a cairn can be frustrating, but the rewards of your tenacity will be returned to you ten-fold.

The holidays are hectic season for everyone, and breeders are no different. In fact, for a breeder it can be an extremely difficult time. Breeders (at least the CTCA members) are placing their 'fur-babies', and they are often inundated with Christmas queries. Deciding to breed a puppy, for us, requires a tremendous sense of responsibility. Many prefer to place a puppy at a time other than the holiday.

Let me explain the last statement--all puppies are cute, but they are a lifetime commitment. I, for one, am anxious about impulse buyers. Some perspective buyers fail to think through the 13+ year commitment that they are making. While I am certain this is not true of you, it is a breeder's worst fear.

Take your time and visit as many breeders as you possibly can---even if they have no puppies available. Go to dog shows and chat with the cairn exhibitors after they have competed. There is nothing we enjoy more than talking cairns. Eventually you will find the "right" breeder---remember you will be related to the breeder for the life of that puppy. These people will be your source of knowledge, your friend, and your dog's grandparents.

I wish you well on your quest. Don't give up!!

Warmly,

Keri Van Sickle

Carrousel Cairn Terrier

Try the Cairn Club of Southern California.

http://www.cairnterrier.net/

The cairn clubs will have a puppy referral person that represents the club breeders.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I understand what your saying Keri Van, and i appreciate the insight. I've been talking to quite a few breeders actually and hopefully will be seeing some puppies soon. Other breeders i've spoken to will have breeds after xmas so that to is an option for me. So I am taking your advice. :D

By all means if you get a chance go. Something to remember, always ask before you pet. Usually after the dogs are shown is a good time to ask. I met some really wonderful people at shows and learned so much.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Archived