CairnTalk

Potty Training "in The Dumper"!

Guest CarCarDawn

Guest CarCarDawn

Hi! Riley is the name of my soon to be 9 month old little cairn. I have been diligently taking him outside to do his "thing" every 15 to 20 minutes and until recently was getting good results although not totally trained. After having a houseful of people giving him lots of attention, he has reverted back to doing his potty stuff in the house!!

He was a "special needs" puppy for a while due to a liver shunt operation and I believe this interrupted his training - - he was hospitalized 3 times and they let him go in his cage or on the floor. What I was wondering is this - - - will he ever become completely trained??? I am getting to the end of my rope with him - - it seems he gets it and then he has an accident. Any advice anyone can give me would be truly appreciated! Maybe someone out there has a technique for a very "hard to train" lil guy! Thanks!

:mellow: The best advice I can tell you is to be patience. Ralize that in your dogs life he is only about two years old. You should be comended for taking a special needs dog. This little tyke could have been put down but, you saw something in him. You took a chance, now keep going. It will take time with this little fellow but it will all pay off in the end. Do you have any pictures? We would love to see them. :santa:

Do you have a special cleaner to rid the floors of any residual doggie smell? That was our problem. I thought disinfectant would be enough- but doggies have supersniffers and will "go" wherever they smell their last one was.

At a year, Wes still sniffs around and thankfully walks toward the door in the end.

But he still "makes" on the floor of another person's house because their dog does and he knows it.

Guest CarCarDawn

Hi! Thanks for responding - - are there any specific brands of cleaners that you recommend??? I will go to the store tomorrow to buy some - - hope this is a solution - - he was a good little boy today!!!

simple solution stain and odor remover.

Safe for carpets.

I bought it at either petco or petsmart. 2 spray bottles for the price of one at the time. The container is large like Fantastic spray cleaner. The bottle is white. And the stuff smells pretty good-like vanilla powder.

Nothing will beat "Nature's Miracle" for spot cleaning pet accidents. It was even recommended by our carpet cleaner.

It is sold at most pet stores.

Good luck!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Guest CarCarDawn

Hi! I went right out and bought "nature's miracle" solution - - proceeded to wash my floors with it and spot treat any visable accidents - - so far - - so good. Only one tiny mistake and no messes in the room he usually chooses!! Hope this does the trick!!

Archived