CairnTalk

Santa Is Bringing Us A New Pup...

Rocky Top

Hello all. I have been a lurker on here for several months. Last week, my wife, my daughter, and myself went to a local Carin breeder and picked out a male Carin puppy. He is a brindle color and my daughter, whoes name is Skye, is really hoping that Santa will allow her to be his new home. He will be 7 weeks old on Christmas eve and we are all very excited about the new addition.

Skye has already decided to name him Toto because the Wizaed of Oz is her favorite movie. I currently own 2 German Shepards who are very intelligent and trained. They are strictly "outside" dogs and should not cause any problems with the new addition. They are fenced in a 1 acre pen and get plenty of attention from me.

I just wanted to drop a little note to those who frequent this forum and ask for any advice on raising this new bundle of joy. Skye talks about him on a daily, no hourly, basis and I'm so excited to see her face on Christmas morning. It will be a Christmas to remember thats for sure.

I will be picking him up on Christmas eve morning. I look forward to any advice that you guys may toss my way and thanks for this forum. It has helped my family tremendously in aquiring as much info as possible on the carin breed.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays!

Get ye to a bookstore and buy at least two puppy training books. I especially like Rutherford's

How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With, Kilcommons' Good Owners, Great Dogs and Mother Knows Best by Carol Lea Benjamin. :book:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that a breeder is placing a puppy at seven weeks, and at Christmas. Your heart will be owned in a few short hours, though :wub: Wishing a lifetime of love and Cairnish companionship to you and your family.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Welcome Rocky,

I think you will find this site an invaluable resource as I know I have. This site has hundreds of commited, loving parents of Cairns. Our pup is almost 1 year old now as we got him on April 1, 2003 and I do agreee with Brad that it is strange for a pup to be sold before 3 months of age so you might experience some extra separation anxiety with him.

I unfoftunately do not visit the site quite as often as I wish I could but try to visit at least a few times a week and offer advice (and everyone on here has some), and ask a few questions if I have any.

There was a recent housetraining thread that would be of great help to you:

Potty Training

The 2 most important pieces of advice I can give you are that of having patience, and listening to your vet. These are remarkably intelligent critters who do have a somewhat frisky first few months of life so don't be suprised if you have some playful biting issues when the pup is young and take care in what they pick up as they seem to want to chew on everything inside and out. As they get older, their main goal in life seems to be pleasing their parents. He seemed to really mature at around 6 months of age. When we got Cody, he didn't eat for a few days and I worried terribly which I think made it worse but he just came around on the 4th day we had him and now he leads a VERY comfortable life with us here on Long Island.

Good luck to you as I am sure the pup will quickly come to bond with your family and love you unconditionally.

Thanks for the good info. I went and picked up the little puppy this morning and WOW is he a real cutie. He is fiesty, spunky, curious, loving and what a show-off. He has really captured my whole families heart. I have yet to bring him home as that will be left up to Santa.

My daughter is so excited and she doesnt even know she will be getting a puppy. It really is magical to see Christmas through the eyes of a 3 year old.

Actually, Toto is 8 weeks old not 6 as I had posted earlier. He is a red brindle with a black muzzle and face. I will post a few pics after the holidays for all to enjoy. Thanks for letting me share this special time in our life. Merry Christmas to all and Peace on Earth.

Archived