CairnTalk

This Is Gross! Puppy Eating Poop!

CathyAnn

My younger puppy, 8 months, has started eating our older Cairn's poop from the backyard! We can't pick it up all the time as they seem to both go several times a day.

I have heard that "Accent" sprinkled on their food might help? And, garlic. Also, our vet said there's a medicine to put in their food, as well. I'm assuming that will be costly?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Ha! Ha! We put hot pepper on ours' and he grew to be a gourmand!

The only thing to do was to run outside and beat him to it. But then, we only have one dog.

Good luck!

My previous cairn used to do this with her own poop. We worked all day and had her in a fenced in area in our aprtment with papers on the floor for pee and poop and a special area with her food, toys, bed, etc. Some days we'd come home to find she'd not only eaten her poop but then thrown it up in her bed!! Ewwwww!! I used to joke that she thought it was a hot lunch, lol! But she eventually outgrew this behavior. By four months she had stopped. I don't have any great suggestions for you.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

:whistle: Well, Max has grown out of eating his own poop in the back yard but will still enjoy a stray cat dropping from time to time. He is also very gross about sneaking downstairs and helping himself to our cats litter box. Not sure what makes some dogs do this and others are fine. I had a weiner dog for 14yrs that also got into the catbox and his littermate could have cared a less. I have Max's yearly shots do on Thursday so I will ask the vet if it is something missing in his diet or if a screw is just lose in his little head. :lol:

Melanie

Maxwell

Our Cairn, who will be three years old in March, does this poop eating thing. we just go out and pick it up immediately. I can tell you it gets pretty cold here in Buffalo, ny waiting for her to go. We put in her food a supplement called D-Zyme powder by Solid Gold. You put in less than 1/8 teaspoon per day in the food. Mine eats it right up. This curbs her appetite for you know what. :)

I had a greyhound that did this. My vet said to try molasses or pineapple in their food. He said it seemed to make it taste bad. Of course, I asked if it now tasted worse than s%*&? Ha. Worked though.

Hi:

We have two cairns 8yrs and 9yrs. One is a poop eater and started when he was about 4yrs. We had him on a med that caused him to be ravenously hungry and he started then. Even off that medication he still does it when we can't get him away first. (He likes cat crunchies too) The previous poster suggested pineapple in the food and I think I'll give that a try. Just for a funny image - my vet has a farm and one of his dogs is a pomeranian that likes cow dung. The joys of dogs.

:P , Brad! How true having two Cairns! A buffet for sure!

The poop saga continues!

I ordered "Dis-Taste" from Drs. Foster and Smith catalog and it arrived a few days ago. Both dogs have been started on the minimum dose of one pill a day and so far he IS still eating poop, rather "poopsicles" since it so cold now. Hubby caught him this morning.

Next step is two pills. Funny thing is....they will both just "eat" the pills so I gotta wonder 'bout this stuff?

This stuff is guaranteed to work so we shall see.

Thanks for your advice.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Well, now we're adding two chunks of pineapple to their evening meals.

Sure wish this would stop as it is getting really old. Not to mention POOPY breath!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

:chat: Well we have taken the advice of the putting molasses in the dog food just a drop at both meals. It doesn't seem to be working. We will keep trying. :confused:

Lori,

So the D-Zyme wasn't working for you, rather, for your doggy, lol!

Have to wonder if just a drop of molasses is enough?

Let me know how it's going for you. Maybe we can figure this out together!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I put my Cairns outside in an expen. Then once they poop I can clean it up easily. After that they can run and play in the fenced yard. I still watch and clean up as necessary. Yes, it takes some time but it is worth the effort.

That is the surest way to prevent poop eating. I actually stand pooper scoopers in hand and as soon as they are finished I scoop.

If they even think about snacking on the poop I give them a very loud NO and back them away.

I won't say that I am 100% successful but I'm about 98%.

Lynda Hammel

Well, giving Dis-Taste at triple dose AND two hunks of pineapple DOESN'T work! Hubby caught :devil: eating poop this morning.

I am about to give up :confused: !

I will try the molasses this week and as my last resort, try what the vet has to offer.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly a new cairn owner ours is 4 months old, but she will eat her own poop if i don't catch it quick enough and clean it up... very strange or i thought so :) but we love her so much she is our baby dawgter...

Glenda

Archived