CairnTalk

Baby's First Injury

goforette

The good news: it's minor - but boy did it look bad....

The girls being the crazy kids they are - are silently enjoying the backyard. They're listening to the locusts in the trees, the humming winding down summer and the breeze is blowing their fur gently - everything is quite in the valley... then without warning there's a stare down (never good) Hollie gets in attack pose and Brystal holds her left paw up like bring it on. Seconds later Hollie rips across the yard and Brystal is a dear caught in headlights - completely frozen and in shock that Hollie is coming head on. First there's one tumble on the grass and then Brystal flips three additional times on the patio concrete before I can get to them and get Hollie off of her... the ending result: Brystal has a skinned knuckle on her left front paw... poor baby. It was a little bloody :( but I think she'll be just fine. Wish they'd quit giving me mini strokes everyday! I do not need any broken body parts!

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Glad Brystal is okay after such an attack. It was in play mode wasn't it? Our two females get a little frisky sometimes and with Molly being bigger by about 10 lbs (she a mixed JR/Scottie) she could really do some major damage to Darcy if things got ugly (which they never have) thank goodness. Glad your baby is okay.

Now was this incident play or aggression? Mine can play quite rough and I usually take it in stride but Elliott is a bully and has gone after both Madison and Winnie for reasons I couldn't see. It's definately scary and while we hope for one big happy family, sometimes the alpha attitude gets in the way.

Oh boy, they're starting early!!!! I've had that with Ellie and Dori three times, maybe four now... No blood yet!!! That is exactly why they tell me to use two crates for them....if your gone and they start that, no one is there to stop them. Ellie has a real good stare down....I have to watch her at dog class if the dashound is there, it's so tiny and ellie gets a bead on her...wooohooo, time for a correction!!!!!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

Glad Brystal is okay after such an attack. It was in play mode wasn't it?

Now was this incident play or aggression?

Yes, this was Hollie's idea of playing - but she weighs 14 lbs compared to litte tiny boned 9lb Brystal. I think when play mode kicks in they just have zero idea that they could actually hurt each other if one is tackled wrong. And I worry especially in the kitchen because it's a slick surface and just when you think all is okay they just go after each other for fun. Brystal didn't even favor her little paw - she's such the tiny tough thing -it looks better this morning. I think it should be okay as long as it doesn't get infected - I thought about like neosporin but was affraid she'd lick it off. This is the exhausting part of having two - Chris and I have to take them out separately to potty until the battery runs down and even then - things like yesterday happen. We never can really leave them unsupervised yet - and I hoping we can get to a point where we can - we sometimes don't even eat around here until 7pm or later because we're dealing with the girls - they always come first :huh:

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

We haven't had any injuries yet, but my two play rough at times! If they are outside, they just chase each other, taking turns. I worry about when they are inside, they go 100 miles an hour around the coffee table and ping pong table. I'm glad they do this downstairs...can't imagine their chase on hardwood flooring!

Hi,

I always enjoy reading all the posts...

My Napoleon is now 9 months old and a hand full!! I have a mix shepperd/lab named sammy and boy Napoleon chases him around all the time, they also play outdowns all initiated by Napoleon who is now 10.5 lbs vs sammy's 50 lbs...

I'm always afraid Sammy will fling him across the room, because he can, but thank goodness he hasn't yet!!

Geeting a cairn has been one of the best experiences of my life to say the least!! B)

Archived