CairnTalk

Two Cairns?

Dan

We are the proud owners of a five year old male Cairn. Due to family circumstances my wife and I have been home most of the day since he has been a pup. My wife has gone back to work now and I will be starting a business shortly. We are troubled at the thought of leaving him alone for a good part of the day and wonder if he would be better off if he had a companion, another Cairn or Westie. We have never had two dogs and don't know if that will be a lot more work for us or not. We also don't know if our Cairn will be happier with a companion or if he is too spoiled at this point. Those of you who went from one to two Cairns, please share your experience. Those of you who have had to leave your Cairn alone for the day, how do you handle that?

We have a single almost 6 month old pup "Abe" . Normally there is someone here with him but from Time to time we have to leave him . He takes it fairly well . we just have to be carefull to pup proof the house . If he happens to find a Kleenex or other piece of paper around we find it in pieces all over the place . There were a few instances durring Football season (our son plays at the local high school) that he tore up his puppy pad . We got around that by giving him a pigs ear before we left and this seemed to hold his attention and helps with the shreading of the pad . Now we can be gone for as much as 9 hours for small trips and he does well but he is ready to play play play when we get home .

We found adding a second was easier than expected; much less than twice as much work, and easily twice as much fun (for us and the dogs, by all appearances). Our second came when the first was a little less than a year, so your five year old may be a little more entrenched. Our oldest didn't really get peeved until we added number three and four.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Dan,

We have two Cairn's, a 12 year old female and an 8 month old male. So, it was a loooong time between puppies.

It was an adjustment for the older girl. At first, she wanted absolutely nothing to do with the puppy and made sure that we knew it. She would just sit there and actually put her nose in the air whenever he came around! It was funny! If he approached a toy or bone of her's and she didn't want him to have it, she would 'snap' at him but not hard or hurtful. The pecking order needed to be established.

But, as time went on, she did warm up to him much to our surprise. Now they play together alot. Lots of wrestling, tug of war with toys and generally seem to enjoy each other's company.

We were careful when we chose the puppy's personality. We looked for one that we felt our older one would accept more easily and I believe we chose right. (He was a bit on the timid side). We introduced them before we committed. Let them spend a few hours together first.

The answer to your question concerning the amount of added work. I have to admit that it is alot more work. It had been 12 years since I had housebroken a puppy and it 'seemed' to last a long time. Eight paws, instead of four, to wipe when they come in from outside, two to groom, more expense, etc. And, the female was a very 'easy' puppy. Little to no chewing, housebroke fairly easily. The new male, on the otherhand, has been double-trouble! Hehe! Gets into anything and everything!

But....they are DOUBLE the fun! We are truly enjoying them.

Good luck with your decision...

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I have 3 Cairns.... and a 15 year old Westie. The Cairns are... a 10 year old female. 8 month old male, 14 week old female. Heidi, Rusty, Jack, and Annie. My older westie and cairn really dont care about these two "puppies" But I think it is the best thing I have done bringing in a 14 week old Annie to be a playmate for Jack the 8 month old. Not only do I think this 14 week old is the most wonderful little girl.. She keeps Jack the 8 month old very busy. It is amazing how these two keep other busy. I honestly believe these guys together make it much easier for me.. All I can say these litttle Terriers are great to be around. FRank

Hi. We had a male cairn for four years and adopted another male who was a year older. They got along right away and once the new cairn got used to the cats everyone is just part of the pack. We highly recommend two cairns (I'd wouldn't mind more - they are addictive!)

• 1 month later...

Would you put two Cairns together, or a male and a female? We have a1 year old female and want to add another female. Is this a good idea? Or should we get a male puppy instead?

Shoe,

We have two Cairns as you can see from my above post. I have always heard that you should get the opposite sex of what you already have. Don't know how much truth there is to that idea or why??

BTW....I know a "Shoeforu" that posts on a garden forum with a Cairn about the same age as yours. Wouldn't be one in the came person, by any chance??

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Cathy, it IS a small world, after all! LOL! Yes, we have a year old Cairn and want to add another puppy. I found a breeder that has a female, but she thought it would not be wise to add another female to the family.

BTW, are you Totomom?

Oh my!! It is you!! LOL! No, I am 'Flowerpetalsone". "Totomom's" dog is actually a Yorkie, if I remember right. I haven't been on the garden forum since summer, though.

So, you're gonna make the plunge and get another Cairn :P ! We decided to get one this past summer for a couple of reasons. I had quit my job and it was a good time to stay home and "housebreak". Plus, our oldest Cairn is getting up there in age, almost 13 years old. Decided it was better to get him now rather than wait til she goes. I wasn't sure if I could bring myself to getting another since we love her so much.

Anyway, good to see you here! We sure have alot of fun comparing our Cairn's antics. Hope you decide to stick around!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Thanks Cathy! I haven't been around on the garden forum much either. I'm sure I will be there more during the summer. I think it's going take some time to find another Cairn, but they sure are worth the wait! Our Cairn is so full of character that she keeps us in stitches all the time.

Archived