CairnTalk

Does he need a sweater?

wags

Hi Sally

My Tom Tom gets cold and he shivers sometimes when its cold outside. At night he sometimes tries to get under the covers of our bed. My wife has crocheted him two sweaters and a little blanket for his bed and he is content when we cover him at night withthe blanket. We only use the sweaters on really cold days. When I first tried to put a sweater on him he would bite and open his mouth to block it but once he realised that he was a lot warmer he loves having it on when we go out.He is 13 weeks old. Our neighbor next door was two Schnonuzers one is elderly and my wife made sweater for her and she aslo loves it. I havent seen it off of her since we gave it to them. Now she has to make one for the other girl dog.

Hope this helped.

Geneo :)

It is hard to imagine a Cairn wearing a sweater while hunting in Scotland. Doesn't it get pretty cold in Scotland?

I know that we had a Cairn in upstate NY who liked nothing better than sitting in the middle of the biggest snowbank when she was outside.

Where do you live?

Sean

:thumbsup: I pottied trained Max last year at this time with temperatures hitting 38below without windchill. I am in North Dakota and found from time to time having to pick him up because his little feet were literally freezing and he couldn't walk.

That was then this is NOW: Max just loves the snow!!! I bought him 3 cute shirts to pull over him including a couple of thick sweatshirts with hoods. He just looks adorable in them and I can't help but laugh everytime I put him in them. HOWEVER he does NOT need them!!! :thumbsup: He will run circles around our house and come inside (only after we make him) full of snow and ice. He absolutely loves being outdoors!! He is by far the toughest little dog I have ever seen and has such a thick coat of hair, there isn't anything penetrating through it. I make sure I don't trim him to short for the winter months and let him enjoy being a Cairn!! Don't baby yours to much, they will amaze you how strong and independant they really are.

Just for cuteness I will put his sweatshirts on him for short intervals outside just to show people how cute he is but I always have to make sure he doesn't overheat from running like a crazy man. ;)

Advice from a true North Dakotan!! :D

Melanie B)B)

Maxwell

Guest CarCarDawn

Hi! Riley absolutely dances when his feet hit the snow!!! I don't think he even thinks of it as being cold outside - - this is a new adventure as far as he is concerned - - and lots of new things to explore - - frozen puddles, icicles and snowflakes!!!!!

I took my Cairn to the open market today for fruits and vegetables. This is all outside, and today there is a brisk wind and a temp. of 20*. Let me tell you she was very warm in her little sweater. Wool on the outside and fleecy on the inside. I got it alittle bigger so it would cover her better. At first she wouldn't do her business with the sweater on but after a long walk she had no choice and now in her second year with us she is use to it. By the way the people at the open air market in North Tonawanda, NY loved her and she tried to beg cheese samples form the cheese lady.

Archived