CairnTalk

Pros/Cons of owning a Cairn

no1utefan

I am trying to learn as much as I can about this breed. I want to ask all of you that have lived and shared your lives with them - since real life experience is worth its weight in gold.

What are the pros and cons of owning a Cairn Terrier? I've done research on other breeds, but don't know a lot about this breed. Thanks!

Kirby was my first Cairn, and also my first dog ever. I knew I wanted a small dog, but I didn't want a lap dog. I found that going through the puppy stage was much more difficult than any training book told me, and I had one of the most frustrating experiences in training class, as the class seemed to be geared toward Labs and golden retrievers, not a stubborn little booger!

However, when it's all said and done, I would get this exact same dog again. She loves all dogs and people, we have met so many people in our neighborhood because of her, and when we walk, she has regular stops because of all of her friends. She is the happiest dog I have ever come across. She's smart. She loves us unconditionally, and we love her. We get to share belly rubs, and hugs, and licks. She loves playing with her toys, and fetch. We get to take long, wonderful walks together. Once she was potty trained, she stayed trained-we haven't had an accident in over a month, and she just turned six months old. It's not easy, Cairns are independent little dogs, but I think they're the best!

I don't know exactly how I would classify the pros and cons because I love every quirky thing about my cairn. However, I can tell you some of the behaviors that I have heard complaints about. Cairns are diggers, strong willed, and I have had a difficult time socializing mine. He is fine with humans, but wants to let every other dog in the neighborhood know that he is the boss (barking, etc when he sees them--which is probably the effect of my inadequate training experience), as a matter of fact he also wants large trucks, thunder and latters to know that too...go figure. He is very energetic, which is a good thing for me but not all people want a dog that needs the kind of exercise that a cairn needs. He has the most wonderful, distinct persoality and makes me laugh on a daily basis. He "talks" to me, which is the cutest thing I have ever seen--he looks at me, tilts his head and makes these little noises--all of my friends want to take him home. He is also incredibly loving, he always wants to be right with me, expecially when I have been gone all day at work. He is a much better companion than many humans that I know. I would spend my last dime on him, and I have not typically been that dedicated to an animal. Now that I have Siggy, I will only own cairns from this point forward...they are awesome.

Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network lists 78 (!) pros & cons for owning a Cairn. This is the page: www.cairnrescue.com/general/index.htm

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I'm a person that seems to lean towards the terrier everytime. I had a Westy in the past and had thought eventually I'd get another, but her allergies were so severe, and as much as I loved my "soul dog" (as Angus' mom refers to them as) I didn't think I could bear to have one that looked like her - as there will only ever be one Muffie and never again. I had thought about the Yorkie, but realized it was a little to fragile and tiny for me. So I first researched Cairn health to see how they were with allergies and such and with any breed they all are prone to something, but the Cairn seemed like a good bet as far as the health the breed has. The pros well there's many: they make great family dogs, mine are great around children, they're social, curious, full of energy, they are super smart, completely devoted to us. The cons well - I guess it depends on what annoys you. There are tons of things I have to overlook or I'd go crazy. They are independent at times - strong willed and although they do hear you they may not always listen, mine are still puppies - and this is my first go round with a puppy and it's a challenge - especially because I decided on two of them. They will get into just about anything if you let them (but won't most dogs?) sometimes little dogs can be big barkers. But it's with any behavior you don't like - just don't let them get away with it. We tell Hollie and Brystal "no mouth" so they know that they are not allowed to disturb the neighborhood w/their barking. I think the pros for me, if you're a person who likes terriers - far outweigh any cons. Every dog has a different personality and when I got my girls there was really no way of knowing exactly what they would be like - I have two very different dogs in every way, but I love them dearly and am so thankful that they walked into my life. If anyone asked me - I would 100 percent recommend a Cairn to anyone.

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Thank you so much for your candid replies. I know that anyone that loves a breed can overlook some of the not so desirable traits - and the pros most definitely outweigh the cons. Thanks! I'm fully committed to this puppy and all the little nuances of its personality. The breed sounds like what I am looking for.

I have heard they are very good with children. This is one of the key things I need. That's good to hear from people that own them that they are good with kids.

I think I will list my pro's and con's so it is quicker and easier for you to read! I have a little boy Cairn that is 5 months old, and I had a Lab before him. The difference between the two is night and day! I haven't experienced Cairn adulthood, so keep that in mind. I only know bratty puppyhood, which everyone here tells me will end at some point! When, I don't know!! :lol:

OK, here we go! I'll start with Con's so we can end on a positive note! :)

Con's:

1. Extremely high energy

2. Stubborn

3. Nippy (but that's all puppies, really)

4. Bark at everything and nothing

5. Kind of agressive, but that could just be Barney! :(

6. Temperment can be a challenge

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Welcome. Have a browse around. At the moment there are 49,051 posts covering the pros and cons :P

Be aware though, that people tend to focus on the problems they are having at the moment and that doesn't begin to capture the overall experience.

If you like joie de vivre in your dog, a Cairn might be right. As others have said, they are supremely "alive" and vital, even when they are napping, if that makes any sense. They are problem solvers (which for some owners is a problem in itself). In my view a Cairn MUST be an active, central part of the family. If you aren't willing to include the dog as a core part of family life, particularly AFTER the cute puppy year is over, another breed might be better.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Cons- I guess I would have to say the hardest thing to get use to was never letting them off leash. Just when you think they will come when you call, they don't. If you can't walk them on a leash every day then you need a fenced in yard. I don't even leave mine out in the fence for any length of time because I have one that uses his mouth and feet to climb the fence.

They can be destructive chewers and diggers. So if you have a perfect house and yard they might not be for you.

In the training classes you often are separated for the other dogs because Terriers can be loud and unruly if untrained. Well Cairns can be unruly and loud even if they are trained :confused:

They destroy toys that say indestructible

They are expensive.

Pros - if you take care of the coat they don't shed,

They are sturdy,

They like to run jump and have fun,

Mine really love people,

Because they are small they are easy to take places,

Mine love laughing children

Smart, smart smart

Independent so you don't have to entertain them all the time but you should always know what they are doing.

They have beautiful teeth and when they are active and having fun they look like they are smiling

They come in all colors and the colors change as they get older

The females tend to be bossy and run the house

The males tend to laid back

Few health problems (if you do your homework and get one from a good breeder)

Mine like agility, frisbee, and earth dog (hunting for prey) but I don't think I will every be able to do the obedience competition but some people do.

I grew up with a German Sheppard and after I got married we had a wonderful Irish Setter (I still miss him), we had a Springer spaniel and a wolf, all of these dogs stayed outside and were great pets. After my sons went off to school I wanted to get a dog for me that could be inside with low maintenance, high energy. I think Cairns are a big dog in a compact sturdy package, very independent but still loving, smart and manipulative of their owners, and the most wonderful breed in the world!

There is so much more just some thoughts, remember when and if you decide you want a Cairn don't rush do your homework, they will be worth waiting for!

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

This dog will be a part of everything we do and will have a very central place in our family. I have 3 kids that are very well behaved and are very respectful towards animals, but they are still kids. :D

All of your responses are very helpful in helping me determine whether this breed is right for us.

I have been researching different breeds (and breeders) for about a year now. It's been a long process. I actually hadn't even considered the Cairn until my husband starting talking to a guy he works with that had one. His friend had to put their older Cairn down and they recently got another Cairn. So, that's kind of how we got introduced to the breed. I have been researching other terriers, too. That was where the majority of our research has been.

The earliest we could possibly bring one home is June 2007, so time isn't an issue. I've got time and will take as much time as we need to find the right dog. I'm super committed to finding the right breeder, breeder and eventually, the right puppy for our family.

That's good to know about the training. I hadn't thought of that, but I'm totally up to the challenge.

Welsome to the Forum. I think you will find anything and everything you always wanted to know about Cairn Terriers here. If not, just ask and someone will gladly help you with whatever question you may have.

Let me start off with this quote from a Cairn Terrier book I bought years ago with my first two Cairns: "I will not be ignored." I guess that pretty well sums up a Cairn's outlook on life in general. As stated b/4, they are a wonderful breed of dog, for some people but not for everyone. It takes a special person to be owned by a terrier of any kind, but I think especially a Cairn. I'm not just saying that because I have a Cairn but because it takes the patience of Job while training the puppy. Just look at some past (and probably some present) posts from folks who are pulling their hair out trying to potty train their pup. A Cairn puppy needs to know you are the dominant one. They will test your patience to the limit. But after that same puppy "gets it", they are trained for life. Do you know anyone personally that has a Cairn? If so, spend some time around their Cairn. Are you getting your pup from a breeder? If so, ask all kinds of questions of him/her about the breed. Find out for sure that this is the breed for you. I don't mean to sound negative towards the breed, I've had two previous Cairns and now have another one and I would never want another kind but a Cairn. Just make sure you eyes are open as you go into this if you do decide a Cairn is right for you.

If you can make it through puppyhood, you've got yourself a great little dog. Some are lap dogs, some are more independent and don't want the cuddling. As stated before, they are stubborn, smart, feisty, lovable to an extent they want to be loved on, and just an all around great dog. As I've said, I had two before and they lived to be 141/2 and 13. I knew when they passed I only wanted to have a Cairn in my life again. We also have a mixed JR/Scottie but we're talking Cairns here so that's my focus of this message. I wish you good luck with whatever you decide and if you do decide on a Cairn, please let us know and give us details like name, age, male/female, etc. We love pictures too.

After reading these posts I think you are getting some really good responses. The most important point I think is that the Cairn is compact having the advantages of a small dog with the toughness of a larger breed. I don't want to get in trouble here by letting you think I was a neglectful owner but my Cairn of 17 years may he rest in peace managed to survive many situations any other small breed just couldn't have. Falling off a boat, jumping off a cliff, lost overnight on a mountain, fights with every kind of animal, freezing and sweltering temperatures as well as culinary habits that ranged into the geological. When he was lost and I spoke to the local animal control after they asked the breed they said not to worry, Cairns always survive and find their way home. I figured the lady had watched The Wizard of Oz too many times but she was right because all morning after I announced him missing on the radio I got calls reporting him travelling back to where our hike began. He was waiting there for me by lunchtime the next day. (Now that I'm older and wiser we hike on lead and have a coded tag implant so don't launch a tirade please because I have learned a few tricks now that we have a new puppy.) Sorry to digress but truly if your situation or locale requires a tough dog think Cairn.

Such wonderful responses. I'm sure that I'll spend a lot of time here searching the forums and finding answers to my questions. My husband works with someone that has a Cairn. Their older Cairn passed away and the recently got another Cairn puppy. This man talks to my husband about this little puppy all the time. So, I'm hearing the good stuff and the challenging things, too, of raising a Cairn puppy. I will try to spend some time with their Cairn to get my feet wet a bit. I am definitely going to go through a reputable breeder. (I was involved in Lab rescue and loved it. But, my sweet husband wasn't as enthusiastic about fostering as I was and he doesn't want to go the rescue route with this dog - something about needing to get back to liking dogs again. :D. Maybe next time, though. :))

I'm with Brad on that you'll find a lot of us in here (myself included) that you'll find posts of our struggles - but even in my hardest moments and most frustrated posts it's all worth it, and the support and help this forum gives me with my two girls is incredible. And no one has ever made me feel bad for going through some tough puppy stages. The moral support is so helpful - so don't be discouraged about some of the "con" postings you may see :) Like I said even in the toughest of moments - I am so much happier with them than I'd be without them. They make my heart melt and are the cutest little things. And I couldn't have chosen a better breed :)

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

I have been into Cairns and Terriers in generall for a long time now. I think anyone interested in getting a Cairn would need to understand that these are not cute little push button dogs. They think independently and are very driven. A lot of terriers run into problems because they are all so darn cute! What people don't realize is that they can be stubborn and high maintenence at times. They also require a lot of grooming, which a lot of people don't like either because it is too expensive or time consuming. I personally enjoy grooming my dogs and find it to be relaxing (is that weird :huh: ) They do dig, some bark... a lot. Those are some of the things I guess some people consider cons.

Cairns are endlessly entertaining. All weather hardy dogs, you can take them out to play in all seasons (as the owner of a Boston terrier you learn to appreciate this quality). They are playful, smart responsive. CUTE! No one can deny that. I think Cairns are the perfect breed, for me anyways, and in my opinion the pros far out weigh the cons, they just require the right kind of person.

I have also owned a Labs (2). There are great & fantastic companions.

The difference is major between the two. I have had two Labs. I have been converted to the Cairn.

When we decided to try the Cairn it was one of the best decisions we ever made.

The Cairn is as you will find very, very intelligent, the Lab was too. However, the Cairn was and has been much easier and quicker to pickup the training, Our first ever Cairn is only 5 months old. He already knows to sit, stay, lay, speak, leave it and come on verbval command. He knows by hand signal to sit, lay and speak. We are looking forward to working on the next steps,

Next it is time for, sign to come leave it along with fetch verbaly. I want to spend more time on the lead and work with the heel command.

I can't tell you how happy we are with our decision to try the Cairn instead of the Lab. Tons of entertainment I have never laughed so much. We are now dicussing adding another Cairn or two after this one has had the opportunity to go through the bonding process.

Good luck

Loki's Dad

It is very good that you are doing your research. While researching the Cairn might I also suggest you find a trainer that has worked with terriers. Make sure you can also work well with the trainer.

Cairns are wonderful, spirited little dogs. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I work my Cairn which helps with the high energy and boredom. Bored Cairn = mischief + trouble. :devil: You must alway establish and maintain Alpha status with these guys. And just like kids they try you.

A Cairn puppy is a lot of work. You didn't say how old your kids are but consider it would be like adding a 2 year old to your home.

Cairns were bred to hunt and kill. They will chase prey no matter how well trained you think they are. They do not know they are small. They are certain they can take on anything and win. When mine was a pup (about 8 pounds) he tried to attack a 135 pound Rhodesian Ridge Back!

All that said, I will get another Cairn in a few years. I love a challenge! But caution; once you are owned by a Cairn you will want more.

Keep us posted and welcome.

Okay I thought that I would add a few things.

We have had our little girl Bella for 6 months (she is currently 9 months old) and I have to say she has stolen our hearts!! :wub: Even though she has done a lot of puppy things (such as digging, chewing up shoes and lounges, eating tissues, tolietpaper etc, running out the yard, eating plants and the joys of toilet training) we love her to death.

She has bought so much joy into our lives and is such a little character with a fantastic personality! :thumbsup:

The biggest pros of getting a Cairn are

I am very encouraged by all of your awesome replies. It certainly sounds like a breed that would work well with our family and . I have a 5 1/2 year old, 3 1/2 year old and a 1 year old.

I am definitely up to challenge and think that it will add something very special to our home. I feel like I have a much better idea about the true nature of the breed. THANK YOU!

Whatever puppy we end up getting will definitely come from a reputable breeder. There is NO question about that. :D

:devil:

My Cairn has got to be the funniest "person" I have ever met. I mean this Dog keeps me entertained and laughing all of the time. I think he has probably added 10 years to my life. Here are some of the reasons:

PROS

1. Intense attention span. He will sit and stare at me for hours if he wants something.

2. He is the "Patron Saint of Play." He will play Ball or something until he is totally exhausted. It's play, play, play...until he suddenly FALLs ASLEEP. There is no in between.

3. He always talks to me---and looks at me very curiously and intently awaiting an answer to his "questions." If he wants something, he will not stop talking until he gets it.

4. They (Mine anyway) house-train well, and usually never have another accident once they are trained.

5. Their coats are pretty easy to maintain and they don't shed much, if at all.

6. No matter how big another dog is...he KNOWS he is Bigger, and lets the whole town know it by barking like a maniac.

7. He will try to mount a Great Dane if she is in heat--again...he is the MAN!

8. He is VERY photogenic. Always has a "Smile" or cute curious face on.

9. When walking/running, he "struts" and looks so tough for a little dog. His bad-boy attitude just cracks me up.

10. Despite a few problems with his skin and anal glands, he has been the healthiest pet I have every owned-and the life span is a lot longer than most dogs.

If given the time, I could think of a million other great things about this little dog.

CONS:

1. They are very SMART little dogs--be sure you are the Alpha, or they will "rule" you :) Basic obediance training helps-and my little Guy ruled the class and got validictorian!

2. As mine has gotten older, he has gotten much more possessive of his toys, food, etc...and he has progressively gotten more and more yappy---he barks as gnats, thunder, our cats, our baby, ME...his own farts...

3. If you do not maintain their coat correctly, they can develop skin allergies...especially the lighter colored ones.

Enjoy the search--good idea to research...but I can say without a doubt, that Cairns will do nothing but make your life much, much happier!!

Just a note - don't be surprised as it's not unusual - some breeders won't place a puppy in a family with children under "X" years old - where X is some variable age depending on the feelings of the particular breeder (3,4,5 seem common lower limits). With some breeders it's a hard-and-fast rule, with others it's on a case-by-case basis.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I gotta add, after having had a big Airedale terrier: cairns don't eat much and don't poop much. And you can easily pick 'em up and carry them under one arm, if needed!

Eli's Alpha B)

Archived