CairnTalk

Bucking Bronco & The Terminator

goforette

When all else fails... consult the forum is my new philosophy...

Okay so here's the scoop. Brystal is almost 5 months old (in another week) - she's approximately 8lbs from what I can tell - (if the scale at home isn't lying...) Hollie just turned 5 months last Wednesday and according to the scale at home (again if it's not lying is 12 lbs - although she feels 16!) Brystal is my shy, quite, patient girl - and Hollie is obnixious, loud, and demanding beyond belief (it's Hollie's world and we all just live in it.) I'm frustrated because I'm in two different modes with the both of them. They are only a week apart in age, but they might as well be like months apart. Hollie walks fairly well on a leash. We just got harnesses for them yesterday, which was a disaster in itself becuase I couldn't figure out how they went on (I know laugh now....) I almost returned them too thinking they were defective until I seen a picture of how they should go and I was doing it backwards - but anyways so Brystal on any leash harness or otherwise just goes nuts - literally and I'm so worried she's going to severely injur herself. She bucks all over the place. She does the same with a regular leash and a harness - then I take her to the dog spa to get her nails clipped and she was a total disaster on the table - she squirmed and kicked and wiggled out of the neck holder - and I'm thinking oh my you'd be terrible to show! And I'm not sure where to start with her. How on earth do you get her to calm down on any kind of leash and to not to try to strangle herself. Hollie on the other hand won't calm down in the other direction. She's chasing flies - spiders - anything that moves or doesn't move. She's out to search and destroy and she even takes that position with Brystal - sometimes Brystal will just be out in the yard minding her own business doing her thing - and Hollie will just tackle her full speed on purpose - sometimes in the middle of a potty break. This morning Hollie just ramed her in the head and face but Brystal didn't cry she just licked her mouth like it her her jaw or mouth and went on about her business but I'm so worried because she's so tiny next to Hollie - she's a whole 2 sizes smaller. Am I doing something really wrong? Am I not disciplining enough? Should I separate the two on a regular basis for yard/potty to avoid injury and Hollie raming Brystal? How do I help Brystal get over trying to hang herself? Or am I expecting too much at 5 months? Is there anything I can do to teach Hollie that wasp, bees (hanging over the poop), spiders, and flies are off limits. I don't think I can say the word No enough but no one is listening.

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Wow, it sounds like there's a lot going on.

You may want to take the dogs out a separate times for potty, so they can take care of business. It does sound like Hollie is playing too rough, and Brystal can't quite concentrate on the task at hand.

I too have problems with a little hunting dog that loves bugs. I've given up on flies, but I try to redirect when I see it's a bee-I'm really waiting for Kirby to get stung in the mouth. If anyone has any advice on that...

Do you take both dogs walking at the same time? It sounds like Brystal may need some training in your backyard, or house, or a quiet space to get used to the leash/harness by herself working with you without her big sister. You may want to try holding the leash in both hands so there's less lead, and Brystal can't buck as much, and has to heel. Perhaps the same thing for Hollie?

I don't think you're expecting too much, but they can be such stubborn little boogers. It can feel like you take one step forward and ten back. I've got a little Gandhi; when Kirby wants to go somewhere, and we're not, she spreads her legs, then lays down. Treats will not entice. When we go the couple steps back to get her, she tries to leap in the direction she wants to go. We correct, and start the above process over. After around 5 times she gets it, and follows us. It's something she tries once a week now, although it used to be all the time.

As your training, and saying the command, do you use any hand gestures? I've found Kirby learns faster than when we try to use just words, and will usually get the right response. Pretend treats are the best! We've made up gestures for all sorts of commands. The biggest part is to get them to look at you, otherwise it's too easy for them to keep doing their own thing. :whistle:

Oh, my.....Hollie sounds like Barney.......

Barney is a few days short of 5 months old, and he weighs almost 11 pounds. Whenever I pick up my 6 pound cat, she feels like a feather! Barney is so solid and such a LOAD, especially when he is trying to wiggle out of my hands!! :mad:

Don't feel bad about the harness. I had the same experience with Barney when we had only had him a few days. I tried to put that goofy harness on him, not knowing how in the world to do it, and he bit me and growled. That was one of those major "regret" days that I had right when I got him.

Have you investigated the Gentle Leader collar? If you haven't, in the mean time, when you put the harness on with the leash attached, let her drag it around without you holding on. This will help her get used to it a bit.

I think those of us who are raising little ones are all going through these rocky early months. Barney is such a brat sometimes, but I just have to think back to all the advice I got from the get go....It WILL get better! And it will get better with your girls! Just be patient and keep your cool. And remember that they are dogs and just behaving like dogs. But one thing I tend to forget sometimes is the old "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" philosophy. Don't let them get away with bad behavior and be consistent. Barney's big thing now is getting great enjoyment from attacking our arms when we are sitting on the floor. When he is told "NO!" it is just like I am telling him "BRING IT ON!" We have literally had to fling him off us onto the floor and leave him by himself to get his attention. How to get him to stop this is beyond me, other than letting him know it isn't acceptable.

We are all praying our pups settle down soon! It does make me weary some days....

Hang in there!!! :hug:

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

I suggest starting with a long soak, or long stemmed glass of beverage for the mom before tackling the duo.

I'm not sure I would worry to much about the ramming unless Brystal appears to fear it. Sounds like normal pups trying to wipe themselves off the planet to me. It's amazing any survive. Every animal I have ever known learned not to eat bees and bugs the same way Hollie is, by munching a few.

I would work seperately with Brystal on leash and harness or collar training. When Sophie first started leash training she would go ballistic. I did a bunch of things to calm her, bending down to pet her, picking her up , guiding her with my bare feet....anything BUT taking the leash or harness off. The first few weeks were pretty hairy. Keeping a harness on her all the time eliminated a major part of it. Once she adapted to the 'thing' being on her (it took a couple days), she had less trouble with the leash. I know it was a solid month before I could depend on making our way down the block and back without some type of tantrum.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

When you weigh at home weigh yourself first, then do it again holding them. Home scales are the best for weighing a cat/dog on its own if you did it that way.

I'll go over to the local petfood store, they have a scale that i'll use.

As for the Leash/walking issues: Time for basic Puppy Class- you'll need your hubby to help, or if you can't go with you enroll the girls in 2 different classes. It will help greatly!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

You know I was also thinking do any of you have some suggestions on how to cool Hollie's jets? Sometimes it's virtually impossible to pick her up because she's standing and dancing all over the place all crazy and she ignores down and sit when she's all freezied. Do I walk away and ignore her until she quits?

Barney's mom: I've looked into the gentle lead off the ebay site you gave me and Chris and I were thinking about the tan ones - they don't seem to have pink & purple... I can only imagine what Brystal would do with that - but Hollie could totally handle it. Amazingly for how strong, big and definant she usually is - she does wonderfully at heeling and sitting while we're walking. I'm thinking maybe if I could destract Brystal with an actual real walk on a leash she'd do better? So far we've only done it in the back yard because she freaks out so bad. Maybe I spoiled them with that darn double stroller.... please tell me that actual parenting isn't this hard....

I have been asking myself that same question! Which is worse, human toddlers or Cairn toddlers! :P:P

The upside with the dog is that it ends at about age 2! The upside with humans is that you start off with a soft, sweet little bundle that stays that way until they start to walk! You get a good year before the real stress starts! :P But don't get me wrong, it is SOOOOOOOOO worth it! I can't say enough about how wonderful it has been to have a child and be a Mother. There is no higher calling on earth! Each stage of their lives is so different but so awesome!

From what you are saying regarding the girls and their leash troubles, you probably should get them used to walking on a harness first, then try the Gentle Leader. Barney still doesn't like when I put it on him, but once we are off on the walk, he is fine. The collar comes with a great DVD that is extremely helpful with putting on the collar correctly, and addressing behavior problems with regard to the collar.

I have been asking myself that same question! Which is worse, human toddlers or Cairn toddlers! :P:P

The upside with the dog is that it ends at about age 2! The upside with humans is that you start off with a soft, sweet little bundle that stays that way until they start to walk! You get a good year before the real stress starts! :P But don't get me wrong, it is SOOOOOOOOO worth it! I can't say enough about how wonderful it has been to have a child and be a Mother. There is no higher calling on earth! Each stage of their lives is so different but so awesome!

From what you are saying regarding the girls and their leash troubles, you probably should get them used to walking on a harness first, then try the Gentle Leader. Barney still doesn't like when I put it on him, but once we are off on the walk, he is fine. The collar comes with a great DVD that is extremely helpful with putting on the collar correctly, and addressing behavior problems with regard to the collar.

I think once your girls learn sit and down, you will have more control with their wildness. It has REALLY helped with Barney! You can command them to sit instead of jump around. But sometimes he listens and sometimes he doesn't. He's still such a puppy!

That was wierd! Wonder why it posted twice???

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

I do ignore the frenzied behavior. I've found it works because Kirby's our little shadow, and she really takes it personally if we take our attention away from her. She likes to do "crazy eights"-she gets all hyped up and runs a relay course around the house, then she can usually settle down. We wait for her to stop, or if she's really excited, calmly walk to the kitchen where the treats are-that always gets her attention whether she actually gets a treat or not!

Have you ever put the leash on Brystal, and let her drag it around the house? Maybe she's just scared of the darn thing.

That's an excellent idea - I never thought of her trying it out on her own - she might like that - she's a very curious tiny one - it might make her feel better to drag it - as it could be fear - in fact she totally acts like it's fear - thanks for the idea - I'll try that too :) you guys are simply the best - I'd never be able to raise these furballs without all this help.

My son puts the back of his hand in front of Sophie's nose to stop her twirling & dancing while he's trying to hook her leash. She stops to smell his hand and it distracts her from craziness.

I'm not sure why it works but it sure does.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Archived