CairnTalk

Shopping

momofelouise

Today I took Elouise shopping with me. We had to go to radio shack and to target. Everywhere we went everyone thought she was just the cutest thing they have ever seen!

Well, after buying my things at target I went to starbucks and parked the cart just outside while I was waiting for my drink. This sweet elderly lady came up and started talking to Elouise. Of course she had just been sitting there like a good girl and when this lady talked to her she stood and started wagging her tail.

The lady comes over to me and asked me a little about her and then said, "I have this chiauaua that's six months old. And let me tell you - he is the DOPIEST thing on God's earth!" Which I thought was jsut hilarious! After all, aren't most puppies dopey? Anyway, then she says, "Look at her! She sits like such a little lady!" What a compliment! If it hadn't been so hot today I would have put her in a dress - then she REALLy would have looked like a little lady! I LOVE the compliments that I get! She is just unbelievably cute! Oh! I just remembered that I have pictures now...let's see if I can put them up...

Where did my pictures go? I posted three times but they seem to have dissapeared in to cyber space? Oh well...

did the stores let your dog in? I'd love to take mine in the stores, that would be funny. petsmart is all we've taken so far.

I was at walmart the other day and over the loud speaker came "whoever has left your dogs in the car, they are going crazy from the heat, please come and get them out". It had to be in the mid 90's that day, makes me crazy to hear about people doing that. I'd like to lock them in the car!!!!! If I'd found the dogs, I would have just called the police. ok, rant over........

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

That sounds like a fun day! I can only take mine to Petsmart. I wish other stores would let us in, that would be fun!

Terry, I would have called the police too. When it's 95 out, the inside of a car turns into an oven in minutes!

Just a little note, I heard, or read somewhere on line that if your dog is in a carrier, like those little purse things, you can take them almost anywhere (except resturants of course). I guess as long as they dont touch the floor (and possibly leave an accident) and are well behaved a lot of places dont mind. Izbell will have nothing to do with a carrier (I cant blame her!) but we have taken her and our mix breed Toby lots of places, they love Home Depot (they stay in the cart) , the Bank (in my arms) the Mall (in a chopping cart, we stayed out of the food court), Walmart (in a cart, it wasnt one of the walmarts with the grocery section) and of course all the places like the park, lake, road trips etc.

You know, in Europe people can take their pets with them everywhere, if they are well behaved. And I think thanks to Hollywood we are slowly but surely getting to that point. Yea us, and our beloved furry kids.

I take mine in all sorts of stores - sometimes even when I'm not supposed to - I took them to walmart and the greeter said no dogs so I went through the garden center and they could have cared less - and I take them to Home Depot, and Petsmart, and Ace Hardware, they've been to Target - I just stick their port a crate in a shopping cart and off we go - they're great because they don't make a peep while we're shopping never a bark or whimper - they love it - and I think it gives them great exposure. Really I try to take them wherever as long as it's not a place w/food.

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

That is an excellent way to socialize your dogs! Shopping with them. Who would have thought? We take Angus to Petsmart and Home Depot and a really nice Italian Market in St Petersburg, FL allows him as long as we do not put him on the floor. He's ok in the courtyard they have for eating your purchases. He sits under the table and never makes a sound. Our friends who traveled in Germany say dogs are everywhere, even in restaurants, and they are all well behaved.

Karen and Angus MacDoggal the Braveheart

Kai-lee loves to go to the coffee shop! We sit in the patio area at Starbucks or a new one called Beanology, everyone loves her, as soon as the patio door opens she lays on her back and just waits for some one to come and give her belly rubs!

I too always thought dogs couldn't go in to stores, but my boss told me she sees people with their BIG dogs in the mall all of the time, and no one cares, so long as they aren't near food (Like the grocery store, etc.) I think with Elouise everyone is so taken with her cuteness and that she is SO quiet (She too never makes a peep the whole time we're in there!) that they don't say anything, or they just comment on what a lovely dog she is (And can you blame them?) HEY! I think I just figured out how to put up pictures! I'm doing a new post!!!!

I think I'll let Bruski settle down before trying to take him shopping. He's got so much energy, I'm afraid he'd try to jump out of the cart, etc. or start barking for people to pet him! :)

I once tried the carrier and he jumped out while I was standing and fell all the way to the ground - I was mortified. Luckily, he wasn't hurt - but don't think I'll try it again until he's older.

So, I can take my two (not at the same time!) into the mall, or Lowe's IF they are in a carrier?? The trick is to have a carrier so they are contained? If this is the case, I'm going to be visiting quite a few new stores!

We have a great new owner at our local Agway, who welcomes dogs, and always has a cookie for them. Molly just loves going there!

• 7 months later...

I have found that most stores let you go in with your dog... but a few days ago I tried to go into a Target and they asked for a special lisence and I just pointed to Tobey's tags and they said that it wasn't ok and asked us to leave. It was wierd because the other Target in town let us in no problem. I was disappointed but my husband was really mad since we keep him in the cart or hold him and if he makes a mess we carry everything we need to clean it up...he is only three months old and we are still working on the potty training. We just don't go there anymore. It is crazy not to let him in especially since he is better than a lot of the kids people bring in.

It's the irresponsible owners that ruin that one for the good owners. I took our pups to petsmart yesterday and, I kid you not, there was a puddle in every aisle. Two of the workers were going around and cleaning them up, but GEESH...If your dog pees or poops on the floor--clean it up!!! They even provide the stuff to clean it with...so what is so hard about it?---sorry, ranting. Our hometown hardware store allows dogs in as does the Home Depot and Petco and Petsmart. I haven't attempted anywhere else...yet. :)

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Packy loves to go to Petco and I swear he can read the sign when we go by, because he starts getting excited every time. DH says it's kind of like going to the zoo for him, but he whines continuously over by the rabbits and rodents. Guess that shows he's a good Cairn! Starbucks is another favorite for him, because he gets treats (and he knows it). They give out cute little plastic bags of fancy treats tied with ribbons at our Starbucks! And the bank, of course, always gives out treats. Drive-thrus are always good... Oh, we've taken him into Lowe's, too.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I live not too far from Carmel, CA which is very dog friendly B) ....there are several restaurants that have areas that are dog friendly and even have canine menus. Most shops welcome well behaved dogs inside....and even those that don't often have a leash hitch outside the door. It is a quirky little town that caters to the rich and famous...and yes there was a time when it was illegal to sell ice cream cones...but dogs have always been welcome here.

We go over frequently to take advantage of the beach, which is one of the few that legally allow dogs off lead. As far as shopping is concerned....umm...most of the boutiques and shops here are a bit too pricey for my pocketbook. But occasionally we will have lunch in one of the dog friendly cafes.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

In San Diego there is a open air mall buy the Mexican border. I went there after work with Toby and a wannabe Security Guard handed me a card (politely) that said to the effect that dogs had to be carried, or in a carrier or to please leave you dog in the car. Mind you, San Diego is mostly warm and I'd leave a dog in the car just like I would leave a child, in other words NOT ! I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both arms, carrying Toby is painful, but luckily he likes being on my shoulders, with me only supporting his butt.......

Now, the other side of the story, due to my living situation, I had to go to a lawyer and then a doctor to get a prescrition for my dogs to be "companion" animals. If anyone wants to know the ins and outs of that, PM me and I'll give you more info.

Toby loves Home Depot and Lowes, he also has been to Michales, which is a large chain craft store, he just stayed in the basket.

I do not endorse deceitful things, but in a "emergency" you might try telling dept. store folks you need to take you dog in to fit a new collar.........

sheila and Misty

:cop::nono: lucky people! we can only go in pet smart. cant even take them to an outdoor landscaping center ..and if your dog goes anywhere outside and you dont pick it up and get caught -its an automatic $200.00 fine .theres pick it up signs everywhere.

Probably couldnt even sneak a hamster in any of our stores. Theres no pet signs in alot of places around here in pgh pa.

but she gets to go to the park certain dog areas, and to grandma carries so shes happy enough.plus I have a huge doggie bag we lug with us on visits-so just as well she cant go many places.

Archived