CairnTalk

Did they botch his neuter surgery?

Barney's Mom

Oh my goodness.....this is so embarassing to write, but I am REALLY confused! Bear with me everyone!

:shy::shy::shy:

I was under the impression that little boy dogs stop feeling "amorous" after they are neutered! This evening, Barney was "mating" with his green teddy bear for almost a half an hour, off and on! I felt so sorry for that little bear because he would not leave her alone!! :shock: My husband got her away from Barney and pretended to make her run away and crawl up and over the baby gate! :P Barney was not amused. He wanted her back!!!

Don't male dogs lose their urge after neuter surgery? After all, they don't have the parts that produce the male hormones anymore!! I vaguely remember my vet mentioning something about "primary" and "secondary" sex hormone, but I don't know what he was talking about.

Is Barney normal or just very :whistle: ???

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

I wouldn't be too worried. For one, his surgery wasn't that long ago. Also the "mating dance" :blush: can also be a way of showing dominance. In other words it could just be Barney's way of tell green teddy who is really alpha. One of my team mate's dogs was neutered very young yet he still went through a stage where he "danced" with anything he could get his paws around. :devil: We were concerned the pup would think his name was either NO or AAAHH.

This too shall pass. You could also practice the "leave it" command. I use that command when I want my boys to put something down/avoid contact and leave the immediate area of what ever it is they are putzing with at the moment.

Ummm.....Sophie humps both before and after her spay. I know a female doxie/ spayed who is most loving to a Barney the dino toy. It's a dominance thing, not a sexual thing....

Sophie

Image032.jpg

It's a dominance thing, not a sexual thing....

Susie suprised me last night she was going for her life on poor Roxy... I soon put a stop to it. I had guessed she was just trying to be dominant.

ctdogs.jpg

Bruski never went after stuff animals before or after neutering, so I thought we were in the clear. Then this past summer on a family trip (this is embarrasing to say), he started humping the kids! I wonder if this is a dominance thing... since they are closer to his size??!!

One of my friends has a Jack Russell who was neutered, yet has a stuffed Scooby doll as his special friend. :wub: When guests come over, Jack likes to show off what he can do with Scooby. He likes everyone to know that he is the alpha in the home. You may want to separate Barney from his special friend for a while-that might help him to play with the teddy more "appropriately."

I so enjoyed the visual of DH making the green teddy run away and crawl over the baby gate. LOL. Yes, Petey has a "special friend" too, a big stuffed Mickey Mouse. Mickey does not stay in the family room. I posted this before, but every now and then I will hear Petey trying to drag Mickey up the stairs from my home office in the basement. Mickey is very large, so it takes a great deal of effort on Petey's part. Usually when I catch Petey "playing" with Mickey he gets the most embarassed look on his face. My advice is not to worry about it; just make sure green teddy is put away when you have company over, and everything will be fine.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about Barney's amorous ways. I've also posted about this very topic before but I will post again about our experiences with our male and female cairns who have now passed over the Rainbow Bridge.

When Toby was 6 mos. old we got him neutered and Dusty (female) was spayed couple months later. Imagine my surprise one day when I went out in the backyard and he was attached to her doing the dance thing. I immediately called my vet and relayed this to him. He just laughed and told me not to worry, Toby doesn't know he's shooting blanks. So evidently, whether its a sexual thing or a dominance thing, it may continue. Toby and Dusty occasionally did their dance but with time it got to where they just played and didn't hook up.

Now we have Darcy and Molly and every once in awhile I will see Darcy's tail stick straight up and quiver and she'll just stare at Molly and suddenly jump on her back. Molly is bigger than Darcy so Molly just thinks Darcy is playing and just turns around and moves away from her. Both are spayed.

Woof! Eli, here. Way to go, Barney-dude!!! So glad you are feeling frisky. Isn't it a BLAST embarassing those uprights??? :P I have a stuffed cow that I 'date' once in a while. :whistle:

Woof!

Eli B)

I have a stuffed sheep that's about 2' high and it always stood "guard" at the top of our stairs. Winnie took a liking :whistle: to it when she was younger and no matter how many times I would say "OFF SHEEP", she still loved it. I eventually had to move it to a place where she couldn't get at it.

Only once did Elliott try and love his sister, Madison. She promptly put him in his place...

I wouldn't worry about Barney at all.

oh god, ellie and dori take turns showing the other who is boss....they are crackadog!!!! Then I tell them to knock it off.....I"m the boss, and that's that!

Terry, mom of Dori and Ellie Mae

th_IMG_0641-1.jpgth_prettypuppies.jpgth_IMG_0068.jpg

In our house it can be either to start play, because they are all worked up playing, or alpha dog... Mostly Mett will hump Bratt...any part of Bratt that is....

Every once in a while Bratt will get really worked up and try to hump Mett.... Mett will put up with it for a second or two... they they start playing....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

My two climb on top of each other, but they don't hump. They usually do this while playing and take turns as to who is on top.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. The way I look at it is that neutering stops reproduction period. It doesn't calm them down, it doesn't make the desire go away.....it just stops them from reproducing. Which in most cases is a good thing.

Humping can be imbarassing when it's on a human's leg, or a show of dominance for every dog ..or cat, that comes along. We were lucky, we found a round pillow covered with the strongest fabric I have ever seen.

(??) Zen loves it. He wrestles with it, hauls it around, sleeps with it and humps it like crazy. The way I see it, if he humps his pillow he won't embarress us by humping our companies leg. :D Besides that, you can't help laughing out loud when you see his exhausted face, tounge hanging, out after a 10 minute session

with his love pillow. Nature does, what nature is...... ;)

Question, does this thing have a 'Spell Check', if so where.

:offtopic: the one that I use is built in to the Google toolbar it also keeps a good search engine at your fingertips so to speak.

"neutering stops reproduction"

It would be the same as a human being getting "neutered"....because it freaked me out when Booker did the same thing as some of the other dogs named in this thread..............jan

jan

He who laughs last thinks slow.

Archived