CairnTalk

Needing Help with Leashes

goforette

You know I can't seem to find the forum where someone mentioned they're using the gentle lead leash - right now I have a regular leash for Hollie and Brystal - although Hollie is on the last expansion and I'll have to get a new one probably this weekend. I was going to switch to the harness but I'm not sure what to do because of where they are in their "training." Hollie does pretty well on a regular leash, but I hate to hear her gaging reflex (although it's not often) when she attempts to walk ahead or doesn't listen to heel and I have to demonstrate to her what I'm looking for. In reality I know it's minor but I feel like I'm being mean to her. Brystal is no where near ready to do proper walking. She darts and practically hangs herself on a leash - but she's younger so I'm trying to give her a break. What should I do? I need to know if I'm suppose to switch to a harness? Can you effectively train a dog with a harness or would a gentle lead be better? Should I have 2 different types of leashes for each dog since one is clearly doing better walking than the other?

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

I just got Kirby a gentle leader-it's up to you if that's a good idea or sticking with a harness. Depends on what kind of control you need/want. We have a ton of kids on our neighborhood, and Kirby loves to play with them, but they're small and she she's still a jumper when she gets excited. The gentle leader went a long way-now she sits right away when asked, and the kids can pet her and they can play, so I don't have to hold her, and she can interact with them. I'm hoping that soon she understands the behavior, and we won't have to use it all the time. When she's on the leader, she walks better, pulls less, and leaves more stuff alone. She also gets more tired, because it's more work for her to pay attention to us. She didn't like it at first, because she had to listen to us, but now she's a pretty good citizen.

It sounds like maybe a harness would be better for Hollie, and a gentle lead for Brystal-if Brystal is pulling and tugging like that. The dog can't get choked on it, and the idea of correction seems to come quicker.

Goforette,

I think that was me that mentioned the Gentle Leader collar. It's actually not a leash, but a special collar that fits tight and high, sitting right below their skull, not around their neck. Then it has a strap that goes over their nose, which is looser, and the dog is completely able to eat, play, pant and whatever they need to do. The nose strap feeds through a double D ring and out below the collar. That's where you attach the leash. All the correction comes from the nose strap.

Barney really threw a fit when I first used it on him, but the video said that is common. It only took half a block for him to stop pulling and tugging (they cannot choke like on a regular collar or choke chain because the collar is not across their throat). It is really amazing how quickly it works. The basic principle is this: It is a dogs natural instinct to resist pulling. Think of a sled dog

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Barney's mom,

Thanks so much - that's exactly what I was looking for - I knew it was mentioned sometime in the forums either today or yesterday - yep Hollie and Brystal are about the same age - Hollie just turned 5 months on Wednesday - getting to be a big girl - Brystal will be in a week or so too - but tons smaller - and has suddenly become my rocket launcher - she used to be really shy - not any more - I'll check out the ebay store for sure. Thanks for the info. I love well behaved walkers so I'm looking forward to some better walking days ahead.

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

We are a harness family. The harness gives us much better control over Sophie at all times. She is much easier to walk with a harness than a standard collar.

I've seen the gentle leader but have never used one. They look very effective,.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

If you have 2 of them I highly reccomend the 2 to 1 leash. It looks like and upside down Y. Set it on the shortest setting, about a foot long to the pivot point. That way when they walk, they are no more than 2 ft apart. Do not let walk in front of you. Make them walk beside you. Keep their noses up and not sniff the ground. You are the pack leader.The older one usually is teaching the younger one how to walk as a unit. Usually I try to keep the youngest between me and the older dog. Also at the pivot point (where the 2 short leashes join and become one leash where you hold on to) be sure and get a leash where it joins can turn 360, in case the dogs trade positions (inside to outside and back) then the leash doesn't get in a bind. I will try to find a photo online and put a link in. Good Luck. Chase and Gus.

It looks like this but ours is a full leash and where they join is where the 360 swivel should be. We got ours at Petco.

http://www.puplife.com/dogsupplies/05lscp.html

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

Archived